Chapter 1

The bell rang and I hurried out of my boring classroom and to my locker, ignoring everyone in the halls. I quickly gathered my homework and stuffed it into my already over-flowing bag before I walked out of the school and towards my home. It wasn't really my home but rather a dreadful place where my not very nice guardian forced me to live. My parents died when I was young and this random stranger took me, becoming my guardian. At first I was grateful, but that was a mistake. He only brought me into his life so I could be his personal servant. I'm told to call him 'Sir' and whenever I don't listen to him, he hurts me. I hate it there; not a day goes by that I wish I could run away, but where would I go?

"Hey, Lora." I turned around, and there stood Vince, the school bully, looking all smug. I briskly turned on my heel and continued on my way

"Don't you have somewhere to be?" I growled at him.

"No," he said as he stepped in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. His green eyes narrowed and his smile grew. His ginger hair almost covered his left eye.

"Leave me alone please," I snapped at him.

"And why would I do that?" He asked. He took another step closer to me, if that was even possible. I forced myself not to step back.

"Leave her alone Vince!" came another voice. I turned around and saw Miko, Jack and Raf standing there.

Miko Nakadai's black hair was in pigtails, the ends bright pink, just like her bangs. She had her arms crossed over her chest and was currently glaring daggers at Vince. Jack Darby was also glaring at Vince, but wasn't as fierce looking as Miko. His short black hair was as messy as ever and his blue eyes were narrowed.

Rafael Esquivel's brown hair was sticking back a bit. His eyes were looking straight at Vince, hiding behind his dark reddish-brown glasses. Raf stood there, looking like he wanted to be anywhere else but confronting Vince.

"Can't you go one day with out bugging someone?" asked Miko, her tone demanding.

"No. What would be the fun in that?" Vince shot back as he turned and walked away. I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding.

"You okay?" asked Jack me as soon as Vince left.

"Yeah, thanks for the save," I thanked. "How come I never see you anymore?"

"Oh, well I—" he started but then got cut of by a yellow and black muscle car honking its horn. Raf then turn towards the muscle car.

"Got to go, see you later guys." Raf exclaimed while waving his hand and running towards the muscle car. When he got there he hopped in and slammed the door shut behind him.

"Sorry Lora, I better get going too. See you around," Jack apologized. I watched as he walked away, swing his leg over his blue and pink motorbike. Passing one apologetic smile to me from under his helmet, he drove off down the road. I turned and saw that Miko was also gone. I looked around but couldn't see her anywhere. I sighed and started my long walk home.

Something just didn't add up, and it had been bugging me for awhile. Jack and I use to hang out all the time but after he got that motorbike, it all changed. I rarely saw him anywhere but at work, and I missed hanging out with him. He was my only real friend, but now that had changed.

Deep in my thoughts, I kicked something as I was walking down the cracked and dusty sidewalk. It made the same sound as if I had dropped a coin onto a piece of metal. Shaken from my pondering, I looked down to see what I had just kicked. It turned out to be a beautiful necklace with a grey medallion hanging off of it. It had long rusty brown beads on the chain along with small silver ones in between the larger beads. I bent down and picked it up and inspected it further, my long dirty blond hair falling around my face.