Chapter 5 - History Lesson

Chapter Five: History Lesson  

         The rest of the weekend passed by slowly, there was no sign of Liam since Friday night, and I was beginning to think it was a dream after all, but when I still could not get rid of the necklace, I knew that it wasn't.  

        It wasn't that I wanted to get rid of Liam, I just knew if I couldn't get rid of the necklace, then everything that had happened was real. And if I could, well then I knew my over active imagination was running on steroids. I tried everything from running it over, putting it down the garburator, and tossing it the fire place and every time I checked, the necklace was in fact back—securely around my neck.  

        Tate phoned me Saturday evening to apologize for getting so smashed, apparently his football buddies challenged him to a "shots of tequila contest"—he lost. Poor guy, even I could likely drink him under the table. He also asked if he could take me on a proper date on Wednesday to make up for it, which I accepted.  

        When Monday morning came I still could not get the dream of Liam and his mother out of my head. How could I bring up something that horrible to him? Was it his actual past I was seeing? Did Amelia have these same vivid dreams? Or was my imagination making things up in dream land?  

        I had so many questions I wanted to ask him, but I had no idea where he was, or if he was ever coming back...maybe after all of these years he has finally moved on. The thought of him gone, made me both happy, and a little sad. Happy that he would finally be at peace, but sad because...well, honestly I don't know why. It's not like I knew him or anything.   

        I got to school just before second period—my first class of the day—began. Mr. Andrews instructed us to work on our Essays and then took his seat at the front. He looked tired, his normally clean shaven faced looked as though he hadn't shaved since last week, and his perfect sandy blond hair was a little messy. He was younger than most teachers so maybe he spent his weekend partying like the rest of the student body.   

        I looked up to see his tired eyes meet my gaze, instantly I returned my focus back to my Essay. There was something in his eyes...something I just couldn't place that sent shivers of unease down my spine. This class couldn't end fast enough.  

        Lunch was pretty much the same as Friday although a few more people actually talked to me. Lisa, one of Stacy's closest friends pretty much ran the conversation all lunch hour. Now she was your typical stereotype cheerleader, blond hair pulled up into a tight ponytail that curled at the end right above her shoulders, blue eyes and a body that screamed gymnast. A lot of what she was talking about I tuned out—my idea of a good conversation was not what happened on last week's Jersey Shore.   

        Tate was busy with football stuff, so I wouldn't see him until history. So I kept pretty quiet, and picked at my fries. When the bell rang for the next period I practically jumped up, calling back to Stacy that I would see her after school.   

        Unsurprisingly I was the first one through the door into World History class; I took a seat in the center of the class. History was one of my favorite subjects. It was also the easiest; all you had to do was remember important names, dates, and places.   

        Just when I finished pulling out my notebooks the class filled up. Tate was almost last coming in, but luckily the seat next to me wasn't taken. I smiled at him when he took the empty seat.   

        "How was football practice?" I asked, flipping open my notebook.   

        "Coach worked us to the ground. We have a big game coming up this Friday, first one of the season. He said we will be doing double practices all week."