Chapter 23 - When All Else Fails, Act Crazy

Just and FYI, this is completely unedited--my editor AKA my sister was busy with school work and I was far to excited to hold off uploading. It should be edited by this evening.

Chapter 23: When All Else Fails, Act Crazy

            For a minute the entire world came to a complete stop. My heart was beating frantically, and not because of the ginormous wolf that had been chasing me.

            I brought my hand to the side of my face and cautiously grazed my finger tips over my now tender skin. That only meant one thing, I looked at Liam. He was still looking back and forth between his right hand and my face. At least I wasn’t the only one in shock.

            “You slapped me!” My voice came out a bit more high pitched than I anticipated, but it got his attention. “Why did you slap me? And how did you slap me?” And where was the wolf? I thought to myself. I no longer heard it growling and the door was still and quiet. We had to be safe for the time being.

            “I…don’t know.” 

            “You don’t know why you hit me? Or you don’t know how?”

            For a moment he looked confused, and almost scared. “Rileigh, I don’t know how I hit you. I wasn’t expecting it to work. I was only trying to get your attention. You were going mad, rambling about dying and getting eaten by a wolf and going on about all the lies. You were sitting right where you are now rocking back and forth like you’ve gone and lost all sense.”

            I was what? Apparently I am losing all sense because I have no recollection of that. Whatsoever. You know that moment when there is so many things going through your head that you are scared it’s all going to overload and short circuit your brain and cause you to shut down? Well I’m about at that point.

            Only, the craptastic thing is, I don’t have that luxury. I have things to do, spells to learn and psycho witches to kill. And then, maybe try and graduate high school—if I’m lucky. After that, I'll allow myself the breakdown that's been building up.

            First thing’s first. I had to know…

            I reached out and brought my hand just above Liam’s—which was rested on the floor. He seen what I was about to do and made a motion to pull his hand back. “Don’t.” I said. “Just let me see, okay?” He didn’t say anything and didn’t try to pull his hand away again, so I took that as an okay.

            Keeping eye contact, I moved my hand down only to have it touch the floor. At first I thought maybe he had moved his but when I looked, my hand was in fact through his. My heart fell when he pulled his hand back to him.

            He stood up and gestured to the room. “What were you doing in here in the first place? Why were you so scared?”

            His sudden aggressiveness had me on the offence. “I was scared because a wolf the size of a huge-ass grizzly bear had just tried to scarf me down in the hallway. After it transformed from a million bees.”

            He glanced at the door. “There’s nothing out there luv.”

            “There most definitely was. I am not going back out there Liam. I’m growing quite fond of this dingy closet.”

            He popped out of existence. I expected the growling to begin. Only instead it was Liam on the other side of the door. “It’s all clear Rileigh, you can come on out of your cave now.”