Amaranthine - Prologue

Prologue

All Rights Reserved©

Small Village Outside London England- August 16th 1610

        The air was thick with smoke. He could hear screams all around him—screams of horror, pain and despair. He wanted to turn and help them, but knew if he stopped now they would grab him and condemn him for a crime he did not commit. So he didn't stop, no he did what he had to do—he pushed forward.

        His legs ached in pain with each forceful thump to the ground as he kept urging his feet to move faster. The smoke burned his lungs and his eyes stung making it very difficult to see. But he knew he was coming to the edge of the village and he was nearing the forest. If only he could get to the trees, he would be able to lose them. Get away.

        "Stop him!"

        "Do not let that thing get away!"

        The shouts echoed behind him. What had he done wrong? He didn't know. All he knew was these men wanted him...dead. And he had to get far, far away. And fast. The tree line was just ahead...a little further.

        All his hope came crashing down the minute he tripped over something, now instead of facing the trees he had a mouthful of dirt. He looked down towards his feet to see the cause of his fall—a motionless body lay there, eyes wide and lifeless.

        How could he be so reckless? He was so focused on getting to the forest that he didn't even bother to make sure nothing was in his way. And because of his carelessness he would now pay. There was no way he would be able to get up and still have a chance to escape, no...that opportunity ended the second his face smashed into the ash covered ground.

        "Seize him! Put the restraints on and bring him to the court house." A harsh voice ordered.

        Without a moments notice he was dragged off the ground by his hair, his hands were twisted behind his back so roughly it felt like they were going to break off. He felt the cold metal clasp around each wrist to hold his hands together.

        There had to be thirty men surrounding him...but for what cause? He still did not know. Just then a tall large man with a long black beard stepped out of the smoke. His eyes were cold his stare sent shivers through the young man's body. The oversized troll like man stomped over.

        "Did you honestly think you would get away after the repulsive crime you have committed William?" He spat.

        "W-what crime might that be sir?" William stammered—his Irish accent more pronounced with the fear that coursed through his entire body.

        "Do you dare mock me son? I know what you have done, the entire village is now aware of the monster that is inside you."

        "Sir please, I have no idea what you may be referring too...please." William begged.

        "How dare you come to our village and tarnish it with your devil worship!" The big man spit in William's face.

        William could feel the other man's saliva sliding down the left side of his face but that hardly mattered at the moment. "D-devil worship sir? I do beg your pardon, but you are wrong, I do no such thing, I came to England to look after my mother. She was very ill you see—"

        "Silence!" The man exclaimed in a voice that would send anyone in their right mind running, "I have heard enough, take him to the courts, where he will be convicted for practicing the Dark Arts and the murder of Lord Dashov's youngest daughter."

        "M-mur—" William was silenced with a backhand to his face before he could get another word out. He could taste the blood in his mouth as he was dragged back into the village. He knew this was the end, he knew he would die. Even if he was innocent he had no body to back his story.

        Thinking of the love of his life, a tear slid down his cheek. He hoped with all his heart that she was safe, and that she would not do anything reckless once she found out what had happened to him. Things were not supposed to end this way, they were going to be together...they were going to be happy.

        William was brought down to the dungeon of the court house, still shackled he was tossed into the dark dingy cell...

        That was the last time William was seen.