Chapter 24 - Mommy's Home

Chapter 24: Mommy’s Home

     I stood there staring at mom, she looked like the same composed closed off person she was when she left. She didn’t even look remorseful, and I knew she had to have gotten my messages. I could feel the anger boiling just below the surface of my skin. “Mother,” I said through clenched teeth, not even sparing the girl with her a second glance.

     “Daughter,” she countered. “It’s good to see you safe.”

     “Seriously?” I asked her then I turned to Dallas with a look so full of annoyance I could feel my face as it scrunched up. “Is she serious right now?” Dallas suddenly found something on the wall very interesting.

     I felt Liam walk up to my side before he came into view. “Easy now luv. Give your mum a chance to explain, yeah?” I’m not too sure when I started being able to sense Liam’s presence, and at that point in time I didn’t have time to try and work out what that meant.

     “Rileigh do not snap at Dallas, this is not his fault and I am still your mother young lady. So how about you calm yourself down and then we can sit down and speak about this like the grownups we are.”

     “Grownup? You?” I scoffed. “If you’re so grown up mother, maybe, just maybe, do you think you should have returned one of my billion phone calls to you?! First of all I was beginning to think the worst, you know, as in you dead. And secondly, you left me to deal with and figure this entire thing out on my own! Who does that?”

     “I didn’t mean to worry you, but I was in the middle of something extremely time sensitive and important. I didn’t check my messages so I didn’t know you figured anything out let alone got your powers back. That wasn’t supposed to happen.”

     I felt my mouth drop open at her bluntness. “Wasn’t supposed to happen? What does that mean? Like I wasn't supposed to find out yet...or wait." I paused as I took in the look on her face.  "You were never going to tell me, were you?”

     She let out a sigh of frustration. Good join the club. “Honestly?”

     I raised an eyebrow at her. I wanted to say, No lie to me some more please. But I kept my mouth shut. I think the look I gave her said it all.

     “No Rileigh, I was never going to tell you.” And here I thought I was angry before, but now…now I was full on pissed right the hell off.

     That’s when Stacy cut in. “Hi! I’m Stacy.” She stuck out her hand to my mom in her very all too cheery way.

     My mom took her hand and shook it briefly. “Janice.”

     “It’s great to meet you and welcome home,” Stacy replied with a genuine smile. “How bout’ I take your guest here and get her a drink, maybe something to eat? I can fix you up something as well, I’m sure it’s been a long trip.” Stacy was already leading the strange blond haired girl towards the kitchen.

     With all my anger gearing toward my mother I didn’t even look at her twice. I almost felt bad about that, but I couldn’t really bring myself to care too much at that point in time. My mother just basically told me she was planning on leaving me in the dark for my whole life. Meaning I would have felt like I didn’t belong in my own skin—like have felt my whole life—for ever. Also meaning I would never have gotten to meet Liam, which in turn would leave him wandering the earth for another couple centuries. Alone.

     When the girls, followed by Dallas, were through the kitchen door I whirled on my mom. “How dare you?”

     “Excuse me?” She asked, obviously thrown off by the venom in my voice. In my entire eighteen years on this planet I have never used that tone with her.