Chapter 18 - Kelpie

Chapter 18: Kelpie

                An hour and a half later the house was almost back to normal and my foot was wrapped up in a tensor bandage and the cut on my head was cleaned—all thanks to Stacy and her insistence on sweeping all the glass away, replacing some of the light bulbs with a couple spares we kept in the house—and playing doctor. 

                Now we were all sitting around the kitchen table not speaking a single word. Stacy was still staring at Liam completely awestruck and every once in a while she would poke his non-corporeal form and giggle to herself, Liam was staring back at her—clearly amused by her sudden admiration. I…on the other hand…

                I was still trying to figure out if what they said was true, but how could it be? Wouldn’t that mean my mother was a witch too? My father? That’s not usually something you hide from your only daughter…is it? The truth is, I wouldn’t know, it’s not like there’s a handbook for these kinds of things. Or is there? Something like, ‘So You Found Out You’re a Witch and Your Parent’s Hid it From You’ yeah that has a nice ring to it, I thought bitterly.

                I was staring at my orange juice sitting in front of me, when one word came to my mind—agito—my orange juice went flying across the room. I looked from the splattered of juice on the wall to Stacy and Liam. Stacy had a look of shock plastered across her face and Liam, Liam looked content, almost…relieved like he knew all along what I was.

                I threw an accusatory glance at Liam, “You knew.”

                He pursed his lips and didn’t say anything. Stacy swung her head between the two of us, “He knew what?”

                I didn’t look at Stacy but continued to stare down Liam, and threw gritted teeth replied, “He knew all along…that I was a witch.”

                “You did?” Swinging her head back and forth again like a cat watching a moving string, “He did?”

                “He did.” 

                Liam let out a long sigh, “Yes I did—well sort of. Kinda…”

                I leaned back in my chair, and crossed my arms over my chest, “use your words Liam, I want answers, and now. Not later, but now. Full disclosure…”

                “Okay—”

                “…no abracadabra disappearing acts…”

                “Aye, I said okay—”

                “…and don’t even think about trying—”

                “Rileigh!” Stacy snapped her fingers in my face.

                I looked at her startled, “What? Why are you yelling at me?”

                “Liam said okay, like, a thousand times. So shut up and listen to him!” My eyes went wide at her aggressiveness. She slouched down a tad and said, “Sorry, I just wanted to hear what he had to say, a-and you wouldn’t stop blabbering.”

                Liam laughed, I turned my attention back to him. “Can it chuckles, and start talking.”

                He made a mock scared face at Stacy, then began, “I didn’t know you were for surely a witch luv, I only assumed.”