Chapter 10 - Date Night

Chapter Ten: Date Night 

I lead Tate into the living room then told him I would be right back with some plates. "Make your self comfortable" I said as I exited through to the kitchen. As I assumed, Liam followed me.

I grabbed a couple plates from the cupboard and two forks then braced myself on the kitchen island as I brought my attention to Liam who was standing there with a hint of a smile.

"Please don't make me look like a fool tonight." I said trying to keep my voice low so Tate wouldn’t hear me.

"Me? Make you look like a fool? I wouldn't dream of such a terrible thing." his voice was even but I could sense the mockery behind it.

I fastened the blanket I had just grabbed moments ago more securely around my body before I picked up the plates. Giving Liam one more stern look I parted with "I mean it Liam".

When I appeared in the living room, Tate already had the take out containers out of the bag and had the boxes scattered on the coffee table. There had to be at least six boxes all together. “Expecting anyone else?” I asked jokingly as I came up behind him.

“No, no, I just wasn’t sure what you would want, so I got a little bit of everything. And this box here,” he picked a pink one, “is strictly deserts.”  

“Tate, you didn’t have to do all of this.” I said as I took a seat next to him on the sofa.

“It was my pleasure, honestly. I’ve missed you at school these past couple days.” Liam made a gagging noise from the chair he was sitting in across from us, which I ignored. “So I thought this would be a good time to catch up, and get to know each other better.”

“Well in that case, thank you. I really appreciate it.”

Tate opened the boxes to reveal cheeseburgers, chicken fingers, fries, with gravy on the side and a few other dishes.

“What would you like?” Tate asked, his brown eyes gesturing to all the boxes.

“Hmm…I think I will start will the cherry cheesecake, it’s my favorite desert.” I replied, passing him a plate.

“Desert first?” He looked at me like I just grew another head.

I let out a slight laugh, “Yup, life’s short, eat desert first.” I actually read that quote in a bathroom at a restaurant once, and since I always preferred desert first – when the opportunity arises - it just sort of stuck.

“Maybe for some people it is.” Liam commented. “Others, not so much.” 

Tate laughed, “Ha, okay cherry cheese cake it is.”

We made small talk while we ate, I have to admit everything was very tasty, seeing as I have been living off leftover pizza and chicken noodle soup for the past couple days.

Tate was telling me something about football, but I wasn’t sure what exactly because I was too focused on trying not to stare at Liam who was now signing Johnny Cash’s When the Man Comes Around. When Liam caught me looking at him out of the corner of my eye, he smiled, causing my stomach to do a summersault and my breath to get caught in my throat. He had an amazing voice, and his vibrant smile only made him that much more attracting.  

“…and then I was like BAM!” I jumped at Tate’s loud expression, which earned a laugh from Liam, “that tackle won the game.”

“Oh…wow, that’s, that’s pretty awesome Tate.” I had missed the first half of his story, but judging by the ending, I think my response was fitting.