42 - "the wrong one"

Ethan's POV

"Wake up" someone whispers harshly while shoving my shoulder.

I know it isn't Y/n, since the weight of her head is still on my arm, unmoving.

"Get the fuck up" Grayson says in his normal voice.

My eyes shoot open and i immediately try apologizing, explaining, "Gray it's not what it looks like i-"

"Shut up" he says, glancing at the still-sleeping girl at my side. He didn't want to wake her. We both know she needs her rest.

Trying to remove my arm from the position it has been in seems tough. There's a tingly feeling in my entire hand. The blood flow has been minimized.

By gently moving her head up, i slipped my arm out and replaced it with the pillow she had before me. Everything i did was careful and precise. I certainly did not want to wake her up.

Not now while the guy she's with had just caught his brother in the same bed with her.

"Hey" Maddie whispers as she enters the room while i stand, wondering what the hell Grayson's calm face was for when he should be pissed.

"Is she awake yet?" Maddie held out a coffee to me, smiling gently. I took it, in desperate need of anything to keep my tired ass awake right now. I appreciated her kindness. Even though i know damn well she doesn't like me.

"Uh, she was awake earlier. We kind of just-" i stop myself and take a look at Grayson, who is still unbothered, "fell asleep."

If he was committed, why isn't he more mad? Is he putting up a front in front of Maddie?

"Can i talk to you outside for a second, E?" He asks.

Ah, shit.

He's probably going to beat my ass up in the hallway.

I just nod, not really able to say any words out of anticipation of the outcome of this 'talk'.

As we both walk out of the room, i swear i hear Y/n's voice utter my name. Maddie steps up and speaks to her just as i close the door. I'm glad she has such a good friend by her side.

My heart begins to pound harder and harder as Grayson paces back and forth ahead of me. "First of all," he starts, lowering his voice so any passing by nurse couldn't hear, "why the hell was she in your car?"

Suddenly the air in my lungs dissipated.

I had no excuse.

Nothing but the truth, "she was upset. She needed someone to talk to, so we went for a drive."

"Into a truck?" His voice was accusing, as if he were blaming me for the situation she's in.

"We were parked on the side of the road, the truck hit us. Don't put the blame on me, Grayson" my voice raises with each syllable.

He didn't seem affected at all. He had squinted eyes, a daunting look, "why were you parked?"

Cause i wanted to make sure your girl knew i'm in love with her?

"We were talking."

"No, you were making a move on her. Jesus, Ethan, when are you gonna realize that she doesn't like you?"

It was like vomit, it started and i couldn't stop it, "then why did she tell me she loves me?"

He stopped.

The talking, the harsh looks, the pacing. It all stopped. "S-she... What?"

I sigh deeply, not believing i just said that. If it were anyone else, i would not feel bad.

But this is my brother. My blood. My twin. Nothing i have ever said has ever been this bad.

"Grays-"

"Don't. Just don't." He puts his hand up to keep me quiet.

It feels as if the whole world falls silent as i watch my heartbroken twin walk away from me. All because i am selfish. Because i wanted Y/n all to myself. Because i can never let my brother get what i want. It has to be all about me.

Fuck, this is gonna hurt.

Your POV

"And then i woke up here... really not much to it, Mads" you tell your bestfriend.

She was basically chewing her finger bones by the way her anxiety was showing her interest. "Nothing else happened?" She asks, raising her eyebrows. She was digging so hard for nothing.

Well, there was something. But you weren't prepared to tell her you and Ethan exchanged 'i love you's'.

"Nope" you smile gently, "that's it."

If only you knew, Mads. You'd be freaking out on the outside as much as i am on the inside.

"Alright, well-"

The door opens abruptly and Ethan walks in. His face was no longer happy. I mean, why would he happy? His car is totaled, he's stuck here in the hospital until you're released.

"Maddie, uh... can we have a minute alone, please?" Ethan asks, seriousness laced in his voice.

It was enough to make you worry.

"Sure" Maddie says, obviously not realizing the tone of voice was not exactly... happy, as she winks before leaving the room.

Ethan was left silent at the door, his hands in the pockets of his jeans. He was chewing the inside of his lip, only increasing the appeal of him. "I uh-" he starts, but does not finish.

The clearing of his throat was the only sound he emits as he sits on the chair beside your bed. "You, what?" You ask, laughing a bit at the speechless man.

His earthy orbs connect with your own eyes, emitting sadness and regret. "I'm sorry, Y/n" he says. You didn't know why he was sorry, but allowed him to continue anyway. "I should have backed off, but i just- i wanted you so bad."

"Ethan" you wanted him to stop speaking. Stop saying what you knew exactly what was about to be something you feared. You adjusted yourself in the bed to make it more comfortable, "Ethan what are you talking about?"

His eyes started to tear up, as did yours. "I can't do this to Grayson, Y/n. And- and i know i can't take back what i said, and i would never want to but-"

"But what?" You press, wanting more information than he was saying. "Please don't do this, Ethan."

You reached for his hand but he pulled it from your reach, "I'm the wrong one for you. I have to, Y/n."

You were crying now, tears falling down your red cheeks. "No, no you don't, Ethan please. I-i love you."

Just like your own, his eye releases a tear. He stands to his feet and leans over you, kissing your forehead. "I love you too, beautiful."

There were too many tears for you to even see him leave the room. But you know he did by the 'click' of the door.

Word Count: 1133

Man, this was depressing. Don't worry babies. I've got this under control. ;)

I love you 💞

- Tay