40 - "headlights"

Ethan's POV

My fingers gripped the steering wheel as the gears in my head clicked slowly.

The silence was killing me, but it was all we had. She had nothing to say apparently. After telling her i loved her and assuring i'd never leave... she says nothing?

Just the agonizing thought of her not loving me back was enough to make my stomach turn sour. And my heart go numb.

Yet, as i sit in this driver's seat, driving her wherever we end up- i can't help but love her more.

She's aching inside and yet she stays motionless and stale. But i still love her.

She has done some fucked up shit that i wouldn't have forgiven if it was anyone else, and i still love her.

She could be a thousand miles away, loving someone else and starting a family...

And i would still love her.

Your POV

As it got darker and darker outside, you felt your eyes becoming heavier. You wanted sleep badly and Ethan still hasn't stopped driving.

"Hey" you say for the first time in hours.

Ethan's eyes avert to you for a few seconds before he focuses them back on the road, "yeah?" He seemed a bit shocked that you had even spoken to him. Poor guy was probably wallowing in his own sad thoughts.

"I'm a little tired. Could you take me back?"

He intakes a shaky breath and puts on his right turn signal, pulling over on the side of a dainty back road.

It worried you for a second.

And then you came to conclusion that you felt safest with Ethan. You believed he wouldn't physically hurt you.

He loves you...

Just like you love him.

"Before i do that-" he says, pulling out his wallet from his back right pocket.

You watch him closely as he pulls out a twenty, a ten, and a five. What does he need thirty-five dollars for?

"Here" he gives you the money and slides his wallet back into his pocket, smirking the slightest bit so it was visible.

Your confused facial expression was eminent. He saw it, you knew he did.

"What the hell is this for?"

He just laughs out loud, his hand slapping the top of his thigh. He obviously knew something you didn't, which was making you more angry by the minute.

"Ethan" you scold, bringing his laughter to a halt "what is this for? I don't want your money."

"It's for the sexy ass lingerie i ripped" he says with such lust that it made your heart stammer. "Remember that night?" His left eyebrow pops up, furthering the intense sexual tension that was growing rapidly.

You knew you wanted him. Your body craved his. Your tongue wanted to dance with his while your lips battled.

Ethan leans over the center console of his car to close the distance between your two bodies. It was as if he knew what you were thinking and he was thinking it, too.

"I made you feel so good" he says with a whispered voice. "Your legs were shaking" he recalls, pushing a small piece of hair back behind your ear with his fingers. "Your moans were fueling me to go faster" he kisses your cheek, "deeper" he bites your ear lobe, "harder" his teeth gently graze your neck.

"Ethan" you groan.

Your hand comes up to lightly push him away, and when you do- he utters those three words you have yet to voice yourself. "I love you."

Once again, silence was among you two.

You knew how bad it seemed as you said nothing in return, but you were at a loss of words. Literally nothing would come out of your mouth.

Say something.

Literally anything.

Ethan sighs and sits back in his own seat, closing his eyes and clenching his jaw.

Fuck, you've pissed him off.

"I said it, why can't you?" He says surprisingly calm. It was just the way he said it. His hurt voice made your heart ache for him.

You wanted to say so much but it was as if you couldn't put it into words.

"Forget it" he dismisses, putting his hand on the stick shift to push it into 'drive' to take you home.

But you stop him.

Your hand on top of his, as your mind formulates everything you've been wanting to say all day to the man beside you. "Ethan-"

A loud horn sounds and you turn your head seeing bright headlights through the back windshield, coming your way directly.

There was a mere second between that moment, and you jumping over the console onto Ethan, wanting to protect him. It was the only way you could've told him.

Words would've taken too long.

-

The headlights belonged to an eighteen-wheeler truck. The backstory was that a deer had jumped out in front of it and it swerved, hitting the back of Ethan's car at sixty miles per hour.

Since you were not seatbelted, you were ejected through the windshield.

Ethan was safe and only bruised a bit.

Ambulances and cops showed immediately, pulling Ethan out of the car.

He told them numerous times to get you first, but they didn't listen. "Sir, we need you to calm down" the officer said after Ethan had tried to run back to the car.

He needed to make sure you were alright. Make sure you were still alive. "Y/n" he screamed.

He was held back from you by two cops which he had tried to fight furiously. "Let go of me" he fought and fought, losing each time. Tears soon fell from his eyes as he accepted the fact that maybe you were gone.

Maybe you would never be able to tell him if you loved him or not.

He sat still on the ground as he watched paramedics check your pulse, pulling you from the glass of the windshield. "She's alive" one of them say, gathering the broken hopes of Ethan and making them whole again.

He started to cry harder. These tears were regret, happiness and sorrow all mixed into one.

The two officers from before helped him up into the back of the ambulance to take him to the hospital for further examination, you- in the one ahead of his because you were in a more critical condition.

As the officers asked Ethan questions about the accident, he couldn't recall more and more of it as time passed. The more they asked, the less he remembered.

He had resulted to answering "i don't know" to everything.

He hadn't seen the truck, you covered him.

He hadn't seen anything after that except for when the ambulance pulled him out of his car.

"Who is the girl?" The cop asks.

"Y/n Y/l/n" he answers perfectly, knowing the only thing he could never forget.

You.