27 - "game"

Ethan's POV

"And then she walked away from us. Grayson went back inside, but i had to clear my head a little" i pour out to the girl riding shotgun in my car. "And when i went to get Gray from this party, she was there. I ended up taking her to her dorm so i knew she got there. Grayson was fucking furious though..."

It was unusual for me to do this, but i had to talk to someone.

"So- the other night at dinner, why'd you run off with miss homewrecker?" Cara asks. Her tone was more than annoyed.

After her words, I found myself glaring at her, the darkness on the outside world dawned on her tight leggings and baby blue sweatshirt.

I had pulled over on the side of the road so i could talk to her about the stuff going on between Y/n and i. But it seems like she had nothing but criticism to put into the conversation.

I cleared my throat before answering, "she was upset...I had to make sure she got home safely."

There was a brusque scoff from her, taunting my words as they came out. "Safely" she mocks my word choice and glares out the window. The jealousy pent up in her body was radiating through every orphus of her. "You wouldn't make sure i got home safely" she says in a low voice.

I heard her loud and clear despite the whispered tone she spoke in. The car was off, meaning if any noise were to emit- it would be heard.

"What do you mean" i challenge. My eyebrows shifted toward eachother in a confused glance that i directed toward her, wanting to know why she was so affected by this. "Of course i would make sure you got home safely."

She jumps in the seat and adjusts herself to face me, "only because i'm your boss's daughter" her much louder tone made me rethink the situation. "He'd kill you if anything ever happened to me."

As the words rolled off her tongue i came to realize they were true. If i hadn't been asked to accompany her by my boss- i wouldn't have paid a close eye. If she was merely a girl with no significance to my life, i wouldn't have engaged in any conversation let alone sex.

"You're right" i say.

Her eyes widened, revealing tears swarming the water line of her lashes. I couldn't look at her any longer. I wrapped my fingers around the key in the ignition and turned it, eager to get her out of my car. Hopefully i could mend this before i reached her house.

"Seatbelt" i say as i click my own into place.

Her annoyed expression and exaggerated sniffles were too exposed for my liking. "Where are we going?" She used her innocent voice. The one she uses when she wants something from me. Her mood changes faster than any other.

"I'm taking you home."

"Well- isn't Grayson there?"

My brows furrowed once again, "uh, no... i meant your home."

Thinking back on it, i was beginning to think this wasn't a good idea. Getting Cara meant i would've had to atleast talk about her, and that's not what i wanted to talk about. I wanted to talk about Y/n and how much she fucking tries my nerves, and i let her get away with it. How much she makes my head spin with just one word.

How much she could tear me and my brother apart.

Your POV

The humming of your dorm heater was the only sound you heard this late at night. Maddie was still at the party, probably too wasted to tell which way to walk to get home.