29 - "promise"

Your POV

For the passed twenty seconds, Ethan has been staring blankly at the ass end of the car in front of you two, still in the parking lot...

You thought your mention of Maddie not being home surely would have had him kick the shit into overdrive. But yet he still sat silent, not moving the car at all.

"Ethan?"

He sighs and takes the key out of the ignition. "I can't do this."

You glance at him, then out the windshield, "what do you mean you can't do thi-"

"I just fucking can't alright?" His voice raises in the car. The sudden outburst made you jump slightly in your seat. "Me and you? It's not gonna work" he kept yelling, thinking if he were louder, his point would come across clearer.

"Why-"

"Just leave." His large hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, releasing his anger only the slightest bit.

"Okay" your voice quivered and was as soft as possible. You didn't want to piss him off anymore than he already was, so your hand popped the handle and opened the door.

You felt your stomach drop.

Grayson hates you. Now, so does Ethan.

The silence only increased to more you walked away from Ethan's car. It roared to life and peeled out of the lot once you went to the sidewalk and set to walk to your dorm.

"Great" you sigh.

The brisk cold made your body shiver under the sweatshirt you were wearing. The jeans that adorned your legs were doing nothing to block the cold.

You made it about halfway to your dorm before being stopped by a soft hand on your shoulder. "Woah" you say aloud, scared from the sudden action.

"Sorry- sorry" Sam says.

"Oh. Hey" you half smile at the dorky boy. His appearance included a black sweatshirt and blue jeans with black Vans, and as always- the camera around his neck.

He smiled back at you, except his wasn't fake... "What's up, beauty?" He asks, walking forward with you toward your dorms.

The nickname made you smile. It made you feel good aside from all the sadness this day has brought upon you. "Ethan just left me, Grayson hates me... Shitty day" you expain with minimal description.

"Oh... i'm sorry" he says with a sincere voice.

It wasn't his fault that Ethan was mad at you. Neither was it his fault that Grayson was. It was all you. You pissed off Grayon, and angered Ethan in his car... however that happened- you had no clue.

"It's not your fault" you smile gently, watching your feet step on the pavement. The squares passed as you kept walking toward your dorm with your guy best friend at your side.

He stops walking, looking at the ground with sad eyes. "What"s wrong" you ask, stopping as well.

He takes a breath and lets it out slowly, "it kind of is."

"What?"

You could feel the confusion take over your face. Sam's guilt-filled eyes searched your puzzled ones, "it is my fault that Mr. Dolan left you..."

You take a step toward him, then another. "How is it your fault?" You ask him, asserting your seriousness. When he didn't say anything you got more serious, "Samuel."

The soft sorrow of his eyes met your angered ones, and he immediately let out a large sigh, "i showed him the e-mails today and said that if he hurt you that i'd do something."

You throw your hands to your forehead and rub intensely on your throbbing temples.

"-i didn't know he'd take it seriously and stop whatever you guys had going on."

You suddenly stopped. Your mind whirled with tons of thoughts. What he had just said was the most truthful thing you had ever heard. 'Whatever you guys had'.

"You're right" you whisper. He didn't hear you, but you knew what you said. That was all that mattered. "I have to go" you say hugging him before sprinting to your dorm.

Sam called out behind you, "i'm really sorry," but you were already too far away to respond.

The brisk run made your mind clear. You knew what- who you wanted. Finally.

The cold door knob of your dorm was within reach of your hand, and you grasped it, turning it quickly. "Maddie" you call out.

She emerged from her room as fast as you called, wild eyes matching your own. "I need you to take me to Ethan's house" you say with a huge breath following it.

"Why" she asks, grabbing her keys off the counter.

"I need to find Grayson" you tell her before darting out to her car, her in tow.

You needed to tell him that it was done between you and Ethan... because after all, it wasn't really anything to begin with.

Ethan's POV

My brakes squealed as i pressed the pedal, bringing my car to a stop in front of the red light.

A heavy sigh left my lips, "What did you just do?"

I couldn't stop thinking about it. About her. Everything that just happened was replaying through my mind like a broken record. She was here, and then she was gone.

The promise i made to myself emerged from deep within my mind, and i lost sense of what we were about to do. Then she left.

I kept replaying it over and over until the light turned green, making me push on the gas pedal to accelerate my car. The hum undee the engine made me feel alive. Everytime i drove, i thought about the adrenaline i get from going forty miles over the speed limit.

Before i knew it, i was pushing 100 in a 55 zone. I have no clue where i'm driving so fast to, but i know i don't want to go home.

I slowed down, not wanting to attract a cop. Or worse, hit someone. Escaping the concept of death was easy.

Escaping my own mind was the tricky part.

Word Count: 1000

Author's Note: Hello! I'm sorry this chapter is so late, and short, but i had a really rough week. I promise to get back on track as soon as possible. Stay tuned, lovely! x

- tay