Chapter 36

Payton's POV

"So when can I bring her home?"  I asked the nurse as we whisper outside my mother's room. I wasn't exactly in a rush to go back but this treatment place was a bit overwhelming.

"Your mother's tumor is fading but we still need to have it watched. Her recovery was a miracle." She said.

"Yes I've been told that a million times," I begin to raise my voice a bit in frustration, "every doctor gave up on her. They all thought she was a lost cause. I stood by her and I have her back. I've waited years for this."

"We're trying our best Payton." She said with sympathy. I looked at my feet fighting back tears. "You're an amazing daughter for staying here with her." She said before walking away.

I stood there for a minute or two before my eyes were clear and took a deep breath before walking back into my mom's room. She stood facing the window. Which was strange because there was only trees to look at.

"You really shouldn't be standing mother." I said without sounding that concerned.

"I've missed so much of your life." She sounded like she was going to fall apart. I ran up behind her and hugged her. She hugged back. Finally.

"I don't care about the past couple of years. I have you now." I said and pulled back from the hug. "You need to stay in bed until you are fully healed."

"Payton, I've been in bed for years straight. I think I can stretch my legs a bit." She laughed. I missed her laugh. It was so kind and calming.

"I just can't wait until we can go home and be a family again."

I regretted those words the minute they left my mouth. We weren't a family anymore. My douche bag father left us and I'm almost an adult. Last time my mom saw me I was playing in the dirt with Michael. I wouldn't ever want to wake up from coma if this is what I'd wake up to.

"I love you Payton."

"I love you too mom." I smiled up at her and she returned it. Her smile made my heart warm. "I'm going to go grab us some lunch. Ill be right back but don't move around too much. Okay?"

"Okay mom!" She said sarcastically and laughed.

I left the room and walked down the halls to the lobby. I waved to the front desk lady whom I've befriended but can't ever remember her name. Then I walked to the cafeteria.

"Two bags please. And two chocolate milks." I asked Max, the cook who handed me two brown bags and two small milks.

"Here you go Payton. Say hi to your mom for me." Max said. I smiled and nodded then walked back to the lobby. I froze when I saw Luke and Tyler talking to the desk lady.

I just stood there with my eyes wide. How did they find me? Better question would be why would I hide it. Why is Luke here? I can't believe this is happening.

"Oh she's right over there." I heard desk lady say. Both set of eyes traveled over to me. Tyler and Luke came jogging at me. Tyler wrapped his arm around me and I could feel the lasers from Lukes eyes burn through Tyler.

"Payton! What's going on? Why did you just jump off the face of the earth?" Tyler rambled.

"Its uh, its my mom." I mumbled not knowing what to say. "She's awake. I had to come with her to help her recover."

"That doesn't explain why you didn't contact any of us. I- I mean we were worried." Luke said and I held back an eye roll. Why the hell should he care?

"Right now I only need to worry about my mom getting better and I didn't need distractions. I'm sorry." I said. I didn't want anybody worrying about me.