Chapter 30

Paytons POV

I woke up and sort of just lay there. Not moving.

Usually I wouldn't have cried about something like this, usually I would have got real angry and broke something. I don't know why it hurt so bad.

The weird thing is, I don't even want to know who it was he cheated on me with. And I don't want to hurt Luke back. So I just lay here.

"Payton?" Tyler says as he opens the door slowly. I thought about pretending I was asleep but he already saw I wasn't. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine." I lie. Or was it the truth? I'm not crying anymore. Maybe I just don't care anymore. How can I get over it that fast?

"Ok. Do you want to go to school today? I'd understand if you don't." He said. Suddenly I wanted to go. Probably because I didn't like being the victim.

"I'll go. Give me 30 minutes." I said. He just nodded and left. He's doing his best to comfort me. The thing is his best isn't very good.

I got out of bed and walked to my bathroom. I took off my clothes and got into the hot water. As soon as I adjusted to the heat I just stood there. Not thinking about anything. Wow I'm depressing.

"Pull yourself together Payton." I whisper to myself. I finish washing and dry myself off. I change into some ripped skinny jeans and a pink tank top with a black hoodie. I'm not in the mood to dress nice. I put my hair in a messy bun and put on a little makeup to hide my poofy face.

After I'm done getting ready I grab my bag and go downstairs. Tyler's at the kitchen table on his phone.

"Who are you talking to?" I ask. I don't know why because I really didn't care.

"Ash. He wanted to know how you're holding up." He said.

"Do all the boys know?" I ask. He gave me a fake small smile which I took as a yes.

"Awesome." I said quietly. I went to the fridge and took an apple.

"Are you ready?" He asked standing up and walking away before I answered. I rolled my eyes and followed him out.

When we got to school Tyler turned to get out but I didn't move. He noticed and shut the door.

"What's up?" He said looking worried.

"I don't know if I can do this." I breathe out. He tilted his head sympathetically.

"Yes you can. You had a life before Luke." He comforted. "I'll do whatever I can to get you back to that."

I nodded and got out of the car. We met by the trunk and he took my hand. I almost pulled away but it was the hand on the side my backpack was on. So my backpack covered our hands. He was just trying to be there for me.

We walked across the parking lot to the school. I held my breath as we walked through the front doors. As we did Ashton and Calum were standing there holding coffees for us. And doughnuts. My heart melted and I smiled at the boys.

"What's this?" I ask taking the items.

"Just breakfast." They smiled. Oh no, they pity me.

"Thanks." I smile.

I walked to my locker and the boys followed. I didn't mind but it was a bit strange. I grabbed my books and turned to see it was just me and Ashton. He was looking at some girl from across the hall. I followed his eye sight to a pretty blonde. Honestly, Ashton could do better.

"Hey lover boy, wanna walk me to Chemistry?" I ask and tug on his arm. He just chuckled awkwardly.

I walked into Chemistry. Guess what I seemed to forget. I'M PARTNERS WITH THIS KID!!

Luke was sitting at our Lab table looking down at his fingers. My heart almost stopped when I saw him. Have you ever looked at someone and wanted to cry and puke at the same time? That's how I feel. I took a shaky deep breath and walked over.

He finally looked up as I sat down and put my stuff on the desk.

"Hey Payton." He said as if he was scared. He should be, right? I just ignored him and looked at Michael who was sitting awkwardly by Alex. Something must have happened with them. Maybe its breakup season.

Shit! I have to break up with him don't I? I cant do that. I vomit.

I thought about it through the entire hour. It was all I could think of. This is so bad.

*ring ring ring*

As the bell rang everyone got up from their seat. I tried my best to hurry out of the class and Luke followed behind me shouting after me.

Suddenly I felt a jerk on my arm and pull me into a small dark room. He turned on the light and I was face to face with Luke. Face to face with my heartbreak.

I couldn't stand looking at him so I looked at everything else.

"Janitors closet? Kinda cliche dontcha think?" I chuckle. It was fake and came out pretty harsh.

"Please let me explain." I could feel his blue eyes trying to find my brown ones.

"Please don't." I said and turned to leave but he grabbed my arm.

"I wanted to tell you. I tried at Christmas. It was an accident I swear."

"Yeah, you just fell into her right?" I snap back. Finally I'm brave enough to meet his eyes. When I do he looks away. That's when I know I have the upper hand. "Dont ever talk to me again. I hate you and everything you are. Do as my father did and get the hell out of my life."

With that I left. I just walked away. Cheaters have tormented my life for too long. I'm done.

--

I walked to our normal table. Luckily Luke wasn't there. Not that I cared. I sat by Calum and Michael. Alex wasn't here either. Weird. I looked over at Ashton and he was looking at that blonde again.

"Who's that blonde Ash keeps checking out?" I whisper to Calum. He almost chokes on his food.

"Its not like that. She's a family friend." He laughs.

"Sure." I said and rolled my eyes. "I think he likes her." I said and got up. Calum got up and followed as I walked over to her. When we were half way ther he spun me around.

"I'm gonna hook Ash up." I smiled.

"Don't." Calum said. He seems mysteriously stern.

"Calum its fine." I turned but he stopped me again.

"Don't meddle." He said. "I know what you're doing. You're trying to distract yourself from the Luke thing."

I should have been insulted by that but I wasn't. "Probably. But just because I can't be happy doesn't mean I can't make Ashton." I laughed and walked up to the blonde.

Who's your favorite superhero?

~AlexisHemwin