Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Alex's POV

Things got awkward between Michael and I. We hadn't talked at all this week and Luke and Payton were mimicking our actions. Every time I saw them I felt terrible for breaking it to Payton, but I convinced myself I'd feel just as bad if I didn't tell her.

It's not like my dad was home until late at night, so I didn't have to watch him not know what was going on. I knew I was drifting away from my mom and she'd eventually notice, but for now it was all I could handle.

My mom asked me to watch Henry tonight while she went out. I didn't bother to ask where because I didn't want to know.

"Where did mommy go?" Henry asked.

"I don't know." I shrugged. "It's just me and you kiddo."

"Can we watch a movie?" he asked, his eyes showing excitement.

"Like what?"

"Frozen!"

I groaned, but nodded anyways. I honestly wasn't all about Frozen even though everybody was always talking about it, and everybody loves it.

I took Henry downstairs to the living room and popped the disk into the dvd player. Henry made himself comfortable on the couch and started to watch the movie.

An hour later the movie was still going, but Henry had fallen asleep, curled up on the end of the couch.

I was taking the disk out of the dvd player as the front door opened. My father walked in, setting his briefcase on the counter, saying a 'hello' to me.

"Hey," I said, walking into the kitchen where he went. I leaned my elbow on the counter, holding up my chin with my hand. "You're home early, it's only seven."

"I try to get home as quick as I can." he told me. "You know it's not easy."

I frowned, that wasn't what I meant. "I know dad, it's just nice seeing you."

He nodded. "Where's your mother? And your brother?"

"Henry's on the couch sleeping," I answered, pointing my hand towards the living room, "and I don't know where mom is, but she asked me to watch Henry."

"That's odd." he commented. "She usually tells you where she's going. Maybe I'll give her a call."

"Yeah," I said quietly, as he went into another room to call her.

She's probably out cheating on you.

* * *

I went up to my room for the rest of the night, isolating myself from my family. Unless Henry had knocked on my door, but of course he was already asleep. Ashton texted me last night saying there was band practice tomorrow. I didn't know if I was going to show up, but I couldn't run from my problems forever. I needed to figure things out.

It was Thursday already, and my guilt was building. The first thing on my agenda was talking to Luke, and the last was confronting my mother.

I didn't bother texting him asking if it was okay if we talked. I had to just go over there and do it, otherwise it would never happen.

I walked up the steps and knocked on the door. After a few moments the door opened and Luke appeared. He didn't look very happy to see me...

"Can we talk?" I asked.

"What do we have to talk about?" he said, in an annoyed tone.

I sighed. "Look, Luke I'm sorry. I know I should have let you tell Payton I shouldn't have gone behind your back and told her. I should have given you the chance to tell her yourself. I just couldn't stand the thought of another person getting away with cheating. We saw my mom with her dad and I was just going crazy that day. I still don't feel sane.