Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Alex's POV

"Alex, I think we need to talk."

I didn't say anything and avoided my mother's eyes. "I have to go, I love you." I spoke into the phone.

"I love you too, I hope everything's okay." Michael said. I nodded, even though he couldn't see me. I hung up.

"How long have you known?" for some reason that threw me into anger. Was that really the first thing she wanted to say. How about 'I'm sorry'?

"I don't know." I said, "a month maybe."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Didn't you hear what I told Michael? I didn't know how to." I explained. "I couldn't imagine seeing you and dad split up. I can't-I won't hurt my father."

"But you told Michael?"

"That day was the start of many stressful ones. Michael and I were fighting when I told him and when I was done I was crying."

"How did you find out?"

"That man is Payton's father. Not my father. Why were you with Payton's dad and not the man you're married to?" I asked feeling myself begin to freak out.

"There are some things later on in life that you may not understand. Things with your father are bland. Your dad is never home he's a workaholic, do you know how hard that is? We never spend any time together anymore. I just couldn't handle feeling so alone." she explained.

"What about your children, Henry especially? Don't you think we feel the same way. We never see dad either!" I was basically shouting by now.

"I know that you kids don't see him either, but that is not my fault. That is your father's fault. He chose that job. He chose to work so much that he came home too late to even see his children or his wife."

"It is not dad's fault that you broke the loyalty in your marriage. That is your fault." I said. "Don't you understand why I didn't want to tell you? I knew this would happen. I knew I would snap at you. I knew that I would feel myself freaking out because I feel like I hate you-"

"You hate me?" she questioned, her voice softening.

"I hate your actions. Why couldn't you have just asked dad to workk less? Or pay more attention to his family."

"I tried-"

I cut her off this time. "You didn't try hard enough, because cheating is wrong." I said, thinking about Luke because he did it too. "How can I ever trust you if you are so unloyal you would betray your marriage?" I questioned, thinking of Michael this time because trust is so important to him.

"I don't know Alex. I don't know what to tell you. I just hope you find it in your heart to forgive me. And keep this to yourself. Please don't tell your father."

"How could you ask me to do that?! You know what, fuck this." I said, cursing in front of my mom for one of the first times. It was a rare occurance. "I'm not lying for you anymore, I'm not going to pretend that everything is okay when it's not. You're going to tell dad, you're not going to dangle it over my head so I'll keep my mouth shut."

"How am I supposed to tell him?" she asked, seeming baffled at the way I spoke to her.

"Maybe you should have asked yourself how you would tell him before you got yourself into that mess. It's not my problem anymore." I said. "I have things going on you don't even know about. I've been keeping myself away from you just so I didn't have to think about the secret you've been hiding. I hope you're happy that you caused your own daughter to distance herself from you."