Chapter Twenty Five

River screamed and then looked at the window and started laughing at himself. He got out of the car and hugged the man, patting his back, "I missed you, my boy!" River yells

I stepped out of the car and smiled at River still hugging the man.

I close the door and it catches their attention. "Alex, this is Bethany Skye, she's my first and lovely girlfriend."

Girlfriend?

He called me his girlfriend, I mean, we haven't really made it official but he basically just did.

"Hello Bethany." He whispers, "You got yourself a dummy right here." He points to River while covering the side of his mouth so River wouldn't see.

River nudges him a little, and then walks over to me wrapping his arm around me which caught me off guard but made my nerves tingle.

"Hi." I wave

Alex cleats his throat, "I just wanted to be here when you got here, the beach is all yours, nobody is in there, its all cleaned up and if you have any questions just give me or grandma a call."

River walks back over to him and shakes his hand, "Thanks man."

Alex nods his head and looks at me but in a sympathy way. "I heard about your mom, and I was sorry. I lost my mama too."

"I'm sorry." I say

He puts his hands in his pockets and smiles to himself, "Nah, it's all good, she's home now. Y'all should get inside and check it out, I'll grab your bags for you."

"Thanks man." River says as we pass Alex and he pats him on the back

River wraps his arm around me and directs us to the front porch. The house is white with a swing and beautiful flower pots.

He let's go of me and lifts up the doormat and waves a key while smirking at me, "Found it."

"That is the worst spot to hide a house key."

He unlocks the door and opens it, he stands by the door with a big grin, "After you my lady."

I walk in the house and everything is so beautiful, everything is white and it's bugging me but other than that everything is really gorgeous.

I stand in awe as I can feel River starring at me, I turn around and I am correct, he was sitting in a wooden chair next to the window where I can see the water and a deck starring and smiling at me.

"What?" I ask to why he was starring at me.

He smiles and shakes his head, "Nothin'."

I squint my eyes at him and continue to look around the house. Everything was so organized and beautiful, I could stare at it all day if I wanted to.

I hear River's footsteps come up from behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist chuckling to himself.

"So I'm your girlfriend now?" I ask turning around to face him.

He perks his lips pretending to decide if I am or not, "Mmm, I don't really know."

He stops laughing and he stops smiling, "How do you do it?"

I tilt my head in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"Your boyfriend murdered your mother, your father isn't here, your ex of a psychopath has escaped prison, how are you so calm and so happy?"

I chuckle of embarrassment, "Ouch."

"I didn't mean it like that." He says as he strokes my hair

I touch his hand feeling electricity through my body, I didn't want to move and most of all, I didn't want River to move. I wanted him to stay in the position he was in right now, his body leaning against me, his hand holding my face, his beautiful eyes starring into mine, his smile growing bigger by the second until it's reached its limit.

"Can I take this moment to kiss you?" He asks with a smirk.

I smile and lean in until our noses are touching, River pushes his lips unto my cheek...?

"I know you aren't ready."

He smiles at me.

"I cannot get you off my mind, I know God brought us together, he wanted me to be happy, but with you. Your mom would be so proud of you, Bethany"

I smile trying to fight back the tears. She would love to see me with a Christian man, she would smile so big it would light up anything and anyone in her way. I hate the way I treated her but she knew I loved her, and that I still do.

"I know." I say

"Bethany Skye, I think I'm falling for you." River scoffs with excitement.

I stand there in shock, did I love him? I know I didn't, not yet anyway, I was scared he would hurt me like Scott did, but deep down I knew he wouldn't. My feelings are roaring like a lion for River Haze.

"I understand if you're not there yet, Beth." He says smoothly

I clear my throat, "I'm just scared-"

"That I'll turn like Scott." He realizes while nodding

I sigh, "I know you won't, it's just fear, it'll always be fear for me, River."

He looks down to his feet, he lifts his head up a little looking at me, "Fear doesn't have to control your life, Bethany."

I look into his eyes, and see..hope. I see hope he has for me. To be truthful, I did like this man but fear told me it wouldn't end well.

River leans in and kisses my forehead, and then whispers in my ear, "I'm here to tell you, the Lord sent you in my direction, do not let fear control your life. Tell fear to get out of this house and never come back. Let it out."

I close my eyes and do what he says. Fear you are not allowed in my heart or this house. Do not come back. I open my eyes and see River smiling at me.

I did it.