Chapter 78 - Sorting Things

Start from the beginning

Harry smiled properly for the first time since his breakdown the previous day.

"Thank you, Mr Ollivander," Harry said, "thank you so much, and thank you, Fawkes. How much do I owe you?"

The phoenix gave a small trill and then went back to preening.

"You are most welcome, Mr Potter," Ollivander said. "I do not like to imagine what would have happened had a wizard like Voldemort gained control of our society. There is no charge for this wand. Think of this as my thank you for your sacrifice."

[Do not ask if he is sure,] Draco said before Harry could voice that very phrase, [just say thank you again.]

"Thank you," Harry said.

Ollivander inclined his head.

"Oh and, Mr Potter," Ollivander said, "you might like to practice more wandless magic with that hand as well. It should give you an edge."

Harry just nodded, eyes going back to his new wand.

"Go on," Draco said, "we know you want to."

Harry grinned and pointed the wand as a piece of paper on Albus' desk.

"Wingardium Leviosa," Harry said and the paper lifted off the surface.

More sparks also came out of the wand, but that was the only side effect.

"Most eye catching," was what Albus chose to say.

"As I said," Ollivander commented, "it may require a little work on focusing."

Harry beamed at Draco; it seemed he was far too happy to care at the moment.

* * *

Hilde had not been part of what was now being called The Battle of Hogwarts. Given that she had already been exposed to Death Eaters, and she was the only expert on Hecatemae that knew Harry, she had been deemed too important to risk. If the final battle had had repercussions for Harry's abilities, she may well have been the only one who could figure out how to help. As it was she arrived at the school as soon as Draco sent her a message to say Harry was in a fit state to see her.

What Harry was really not expecting when she walked through the door of the Room of Requirement, was for her to be carrying a very large, white box.

"Let me help," Draco immediately offered and was across the room in a moment.

Harry did the next best thing and conjured a table for the box to go on.

"Thank you," Hilde said in what was a tone that was a little too bright, even for her.

On instinct Harry lowered his barriers a little and was unsurprised to see rather a swirl of emotion around his friend. It seemed to be quite a common thing at the moment, and he was noticing it now his brain wasn't chasing after his body trying to catch up.

"Everything okay?" he asked as he submitted to the now very familiar once over everyone who knew him seemed to need to do the moment they saw him for the first time.

"Oh yes," she said, smiling, "just very glad to see both of you in one piece. It's one thing to be told, but it's completely another to be able to see for yourself. How are you both feeling? Any aftereffects you need my help with? How's the new wand, Harry?"

All the questions came out in a mad rush. It was almost like being back when Hilde had first met them both after they bonded.

"Physically we're both very well, thank you," Draco said, placing the box on the table. "Mentally we're both getting there as well."