Chapter 44 - More Friends and Family

"Merlin save me from Gryffindors," Draco said in a very dramatic fashion as Pansy and Greg walked into the room.

"That may even be beyond the great man himself," was Pansy's comeback. "Given your behaviour I'm beginning to think it's too late for you anyway."

"A valid observation when you don't understand our motivation," Draco replied and smiled; it was always fun talking to Pansy.

"Care to explain?"

"Sirius Black was causing an anomaly in the fabric of the universe that could have resulted in anything from an explosion big enough to destroy a building to a reaction that would have ripped a hole in reality itself. We either had to resurrect him or kill him properly. Both were as unknown as each other, so we chose the more favourable outcome."

Pansy looked at him for a moment, her mouth slightly open. If she had been anything but a Slytherin, Draco was sure the words "you're kidding" or something equally as inane would have been falling from her lips.

"You may wish to explain that to Snape in the near future," she finally said; "he's been frantic."

"He made two second years cry," Greg added.

"That is worried," Draco agreed.

"How is making second years cry any different from his usual behaviour?" Harry asked.

"There are lines Snape does not usually cross, when you are not in the room that is," Pansy said. "He has made many a first year cry, but then that's a very easy thing to do even without trying, second years, however, not a usual occurrence."

"I'll have to take your word for it," Harry replied.

Pansy grinned at that. Draco couldn't help enjoying the ease with which all those he cared for interacted now.

"Hermione asked me to bring you these," Pansy said, walking over and depositing the pile of papers she was carrying on the bedside table next to Draco. "She didn't think the others would let her bring them in."

"What are they?" Draco asked, reaching out and taking the top one.

"All the information on the idiocy in the Ministry to do with Sirius Black," Pansy said and Draco moved the document he was holding so Harry could see it before Harry did anything stupid like try and sit up, "and various ideas we have been working on to put them in their place."

Draco quickly scanned the parchment in his hand. It was the details of the trial date and the charges Sirius had to answer.

"Bureaucrats to the last man and woman," Draco said, letting all his contempt coalesce in his tone.

"It will be a media spectacle, a waste of time and money, but at least once it's done they won't be able to try anything else," Pansy agreed.

"My thinking exactly," Draco said.

"But what if they fix the trial?" Harry finally voiced what Draco was sure had been bothering him since Hermione had revealed what was going on.

"We will make sure that can't happen," Draco promised.

"Fudge tried to have my wand broken because I saved my cousin from Dementors," was Harry's immediate comeback. "If I scared him, Sirius must positively terrify him."

"And Dumbledore has already made sure the imbecile can't play any ridiculous games," Pansy explained. "Fudge tried to move for a closed trial, but it will be in front of the whole Wizengamot."

"Relax," Draco said as he felt Harry starting to get worked up, "we've got this."

"Now that you're both awake, yes, we definitely have," Pansy agreed.