Chapter 31 - I need you like a victim needs the pain

‘Iron’ – Woodkid

I need you like a victim needs the pain

Harry was nibbling playfully on Louis’ ear, hands interlaced as they flew along the empty road. The heat pelted down on the car, sweat dripped off everyone and as Harry whispered wicked, sweet nothings Liam was trying to get Niall to talk. Niall had his arms folded and his head against the hot glass, a frown permanently etched on his face and lip pouted. Jennifer told Liam to leave it, he wouldn’t. Niall was shaking, he glanced at Louis but found he came up blank when it came to what he should say. 

Louis was trying to concentrate on Harry’s tongue, on the words that spilled like dirty confessions from his perfectly plump lips. But he couldn’t because he could see the tears rolling down Niall’s cheeks, his body softly shaking as he tried to stifle the hurt. Louis sat up, he gently pushed Harry away and before Harry could complain, gestured to Niall.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Harry asked. 

Niall didn’t move. 

“Niall?” Louis asked. 

“Louis,” Niall opened his eyes, “fuck off.”

“Hey,” Harry sat up, “what’s with the attitude?”

Liam was holding Jennifer’s hand, her head resting on his shoulder as she fanned herself. He squeezed her hand, Louis noticed the silent gesture. He noticed how Liam leant closer and whispered, “do you think this is about Dakota?”

Niall shook his head, “ask Louis?” 

Harry frowned. 

Louis felt sick, instantly the waves of nausea engulfed him. He expected Dakota to throw him under the bus, expected her to hurt him and return the favour. Because that’s what she did, she was nasty and spiteful, she did things to hurt others, as if it would protect her own heart. 

But Niall… 

“Lou?” Harry asked. 

“I…”

“Go on,” Niall huffed, “tell him. You got your wish, I was your pawn in this fucked up game of revenge and she ended up breaking me clean in two.” Niall glared at Louis, stared straight into his frightened green eyes and challenged him. Louis saw the pain on his face, he knew how Niall felt… well, because he had spent months feeling the same way. 

Louis recalled Harry breaking up with him, no explanation a night before Niall’s birthday. He recalled kissing some guy to get revenge, just like Dakota. He recalled the emptiness that swallowed him whole, he recalled disappearing under Ava’s sheets in the hopes of forgetting. But what’s the point in forgetting when it’s impossible? 

“Louis?” Harry’s voice was stern, his body stiffening next to Louis. 

Louis snapped from his reverie, he fumbled for Harry’s hand but Harry pulled away. “Look, it’s all a–“

Liam patted Niall on the shoulder, Jennifer was sitting up now and studying Niall’s face. “What did she say?” She asked. 

“Does it matter?” Niall asked. 

“Of course it does,” Jennifer said. “I know her better than anyone,” she inched forward to try and get Niall to look at her. “Look at me Niall,” she commanded. 

He stared blankly out the window. 

Louis could feel Harry’s green eyes staring into him, his face was burning red and it had nothing to do with the heat in the car. What do I say? Suddenly he realised how badly he had fucked everything up, blindsided by his bitterness towards Dakota.