Chamber Of Ability

Hallo's P. O. V

The scenery morphed into one of a pleasant hill. Flower beds dotted every hill including the one we stood on. All types of flowers, in fact.

This is definitely not what I was expecting from the chambers. All that remained from the way we came was the wooden door.

"Well, this wasn't what I'd expected." Jake admitted. I nodded.

"Yep, I guess we should pick some flowers."

"Straight forward task, isn't it?" a voice came from next to me. I involuntarily jumped away.

A man with blonde hair and blue eyes stood next to me. He wore nothing but a small chiton covering his manhood. He didn't seem worried about being half naked in a field.

Before I could react, a arc of destruction came around my neck and passed straight through the man. Watching Jake stumble, I realized in a split second that Jake saw the man and immediately went to strike him down. I had never seen a person move so fast with such a weapon. If that sword actually connected with the strange man he would've been a goner.

Nonetheless, the man chuckled. "Attacking the god of the first chamber on your first test is not the best impression, you know."

Jake turned to look at the god. His sword gleaming a crimson shade. "I'd appreciate it if you were a little more mysterious and not so forthcoming, Pothos."

I looked at the man. "Pothos?"

He threw me a dazzling smile. "Yes, Hallo, beautiful name by the way, I am Pothos. I am the god of yearning."

I stared at him. Okay, what do you say to a person that says their a god?

"So your the god that's overseeing the first chamber?" I asked to which he nodded.

"What's the test here, love god?" Jake sneered out. I grabbed his arm and pulled him closer.

"What is your problem?" I hissed at him but before he could answer, Pothos answered.

"Jake has a phobia for love gods because of what he did to my mother."

I gave Jake a look to which he returned. "Your mother?"

Pothos eyes glinted in a way I did not like. "Oh yes, the great Aphrodite is my mother."

Of course.

Of course, Jake had made gotten on the wrong side of Aphrodite and if you could learn anything from those myths, it's that she should not be messed with. And yet, she is always being messed with.

She should fix that.

You didn't hear that from me.

"So-" I began but Jake cut me off.

"What's the challenge?" he asked. Pothos gave him a condescending smile.

"Easy, Hallo here must pick the flower that matters most. That is, the flower that matters most to you, Jake."

Jake looked at me and sheathed his sword. He waved his hand at the fields as if to say Pick a flower but he still gripped the hilt of the sword so it was more like pick a flower, I got your back.

That's what I liked about Jake. No matter if I was mad at him or he me, he still had my back and with a god that hates Jake, it was needed. Plus if Pothos decided to attack, he'd attack Jake first so it was good he stayed behind.

Though I didn't get why I needed to find the flower. I thought this would be all about Jake so why me?

"You know, you should be more careful Jakie,"  Pothos started. ", longing and yearning can quickly turn into desperation and need. And I have a connection with Dionysus so if things should happen, you might turn towards wine."

I drastically searched but I didn't know what I was searching for.

"I never tasted wine or any alcohol and I won't start now. I know the difference, I know you."  Jake sneered back. It occurred to me that there was two parts to this.

Me with the flower and the god and Jake.

"You say that now but you've experienced it multiple times, haven't you Jake?" Pothos toyed.

I sighed and looked back at Jake to see him already thinking. Then I could see the answer hit him.

"She won't find the flower, will she? Because she isn't searching for your flower, she's searching for mine. More specifically the one that I made. " He ran to me and grabbed my hands. "Don't worry, just trust me."

I nodded and felt power tingling through our hands into me. Suddenly, the colours of the flowers sharpened making such a contrast.

"Ask for Rose." He whispered into my ear.

I stared at him because it seemed that Rose was someone's name. But nonetheless he stepped back and I crunched low. I dug my hand into the soft earth.

"Please Rose, all I ask is for you to appear. Not for me but for Jake." I asked. For a second, I felt simple then the colours went back to their original depth.

Only one stood out, a rose that seemed to be all the colours and non at the same time. I walked to it and cupped my hand under it, pulling the entire plant out.

It glowed with so much power, I knew that this was the one. I turned to see Pothos with the same smile but Jake had a scowl.

He drew his sword and pointed it at Pothos throat. "How is my Rose here?"

But Pothos wasn't intimidated and chuckled. "You don't get it Jake, you can't protect yourself in here. You'll be unraveled till there's nothing left and built up again just as fast. Good luck trying to keep the yearning to be someone better."

And with that he disappeared.

Jake sheathed his sword again and walked towards me. His hands cupped mine from underneath. His eyes shone with pride and the smile I was looking for earlier appeared now.

" So what's the backstory to Rose?" I asked him.

He told me about Trigon's training analogy and how he made perfect life. He told me how he endured so much pain and broke everything inside him. In the end, perfect life came in the form of a rose. His rose. She (yes a girl is perfect) spoke to him and was perfect in every way.

"I hid her in me. I don't know how she ended up here..." His voice cracked.

"How did you hide her inside you?" He smirked at my question and something about that smirk relieved me.

He took the rose from my hands. I realized that the rose was actually made of glass and all the colours were just refraction. The rose sunk into his hand and didn't appear on the other side. He had absorbed the rose into him.

"That's how, now do you need a snack or do you want to tackle the second chamber?"