- Monday, June 6th - Another Day, Another Goodbye

"I don't know how I'm going to sleep from now on without you as my body pillow," Evan said as he shut her alarm.

Is he serious? I'm the one that was completely spooned around him this morning...

They had awoken moments ago to find Emily's knees tucked behind Evan's, her right arm draped over his ribcage, and her hand held in his firmly tucked against his heart.

She still felt some lingering unease now that she was acutely aware of her growing feelings for him.

But it's easier to be more physically affectionate since we only have a few more minutes together before I leave...

So when Evan rolled over to kiss her, she welcomed it.

I don't even mind our morning breath...

He followed the kiss on her lips with a kiss to her wrist of their still linked hands.

"Should I even bother asking if you are coming back next weekend?"

"There's a dance at school on Friday night. I'm helping set up for service hours and then going with my friends. Then my birthday is Saturday so I'll do something with my Mom and my friends. And Sunday is for homework." She bit her cheek.

"Maybe... Maybe I'll..." Evan let go of her hand to rub his over his face and through his hair.

My hand feels strangely empty and cold...

"Maybe you'll what?" Emily clenched and unclenched her fingers.

He shook his head and frowned. "Never mind."

But her Father's whistled reveille approached, followed by the knocking on her door, so they couldn't say anything more.

Evan sat on her bed and silently watched her dress. After that, he hugged her and kissed her once more before climbing out of the window wordlessly.

Emily leaned out to watch him walk across the porch and start down the path. Suddenly the lyrics of Stardust came back to her, along with the same burning pain she felt yesterday.

You wander down the lane and far away, Leaving me a song that will not die...

"Jersey!" Emily called out a little more loudly than she probably should have.

Evan stopped, turned and padded back toward her window. He froze before her.

"I'll..." she began and watched Evan's eyebrows lift higher.

What can I say to make this feeling go away? Will anything I say be as good as what he wants me to say? I'm guessing he wants me to say that I'll be his girlfriend...

She felt her own brow press down like a leaden weight. "...text you."

Her face muscles strained to even out the wrinkles in her forehead.

But what I really want to tell you is that I'll miss you... And I'm sorry...

Evan smiled his most charming smile and he said, "I'll look forward to it Brooklyn."

He turned and jogged away. Emily's stomach hurt.

I wish I had kissed him again...