Rush Hour

As Emily got onto the bus she turned on her phone because she wanted to check her email.

There won't be a text from Evan since he thinks I don't have my phone today...

She was quite taken aback to see that there was a message from Kelly though.

You didn't text me yesterday.

She wrote back.

Sorry, I'm a bad girl.

A few minutes later he replied.

Make it up to me and come back this weekend.

Emily bit her nail as she tried to think about how to respond when he sent her another text.

I have a surprise for you.

She lifted her eyebrows at her phone and typed.

I can imagine.

The phone vibrated in her hand again.

Don't imagine. Come.

He orders me even through a cell tower...

Emily laughed out loud to herself on the bus and the old man seated in front of her turned to give her a nasty look.

Her ears turned red as she sent her next reply.

You would like that wouldn't you?! I'll think about it.

His response was immediate.

You think too much.

Emily bit her top lip to stop herself from laughing again.

So I've been told.

She opened her email to see if Evan had written to her.

There was an email from him titled "Song of the Day." She opened it to read.

In honor of your work with the tuition lady today (It is Wednesdays that you work with the nun right?) I'm listening to this old school gem.

Emily put in her earbuds and followed the imbedded link to listen to Frank Sinatra croon out "Emily," with a goofy grin on her face.

My grandfather liked to sing this to me when I was little... It also makes me oddly happy that Evan remembered which day of the week I work with Sr. Bernadette...

Emily texted him back.

My Mom didn't take away my phone! In fact she even apologized this morning. SHOCKING!

She added a file for "Sunday Kind of Love" by Etta James.

Evan's answer came as Emily was getting off the bus nearly an hour later.

That's great!!! At practice. If coaches catch me on phone I won't start this weekend. Will call later.