Evening

An hour later, Emily's father pulled into his cul-de-sac.

She recognized the generously sized, grey-shingled ranch with the front porch, from her brother's social media accounts. John's lanky frame, playing basketball in front with some friends, confirmed it was her father's house.

Emily's hands felt clammy.

He probably asked his friends to come over so I wouldn't talk to him about Mom... What should I say to him?

Her father pulled into the driveway. Emily got out of the car and immediately went to get her backpack from the trunk, turning her back on her brother.

She heard the basketball strike the ground behind her as John came over. Its hollow metallic ping made her ears ring and she cringed.

"Hey Em!" He hugged her over her backpack, one arm on his ball, while she patted his arm.

This is awkward... We're out of practice being in each other's company...

John took the backpack from her shoulder and led her to the edge of the driveway. He nodded at the three young men who casually lined up in front of her. "I want you to meet my friends. This is Donnie, Jerry and Kelly."

Emily stared at her brother's friends.

Donnie... Short with a stocky build, dark closely cropped hair... He's got a goofy, Cheshire-cat smile and a lot of laugh lines for his age...

The cat raised his eyebrows at John. "I see why you've hidden her from us for the past year. You probably didn't want to deal with all of us hitting on her in front of you."

Emily snickered but stopped laughing when John clenched his jaw. "Touch her and I'll kill you." He threw a hard chest pass to Donnie, who caught the ball with a grunt.

She looked at the next boy.

Jerry... Extremely tall and a little pudgy... Soft-looking, curly brown hair and a tiny mouth with thin lips... He looks like a gentle giant...

The giant waved at her. "Do you have another bag? I can help get it out of the car if you like."

Donnie shoved Jerry sideways. "You just want to get into her bedroom."

Jerry gave Donnie an icy glare. "I have a girlfriend, unlike some other people standing here."

Donnie tucked the ball under his arm, then raised his hands in a sign of surrender before backing up to continue shooting baskets. Jerry offered Emily a small reassuring nod before she turned her attention to the last boy.

Kelly... He may have a girl's name but there is nothing girly about him at all.... Well except for maybe his lips... Barefoot and shirtless... Lightly tanned lean chest and arms... Shaggy, sandy-blonde hair... Bangs grazing his eyes... Ocean-grey eyes... He looks like a surfer who is landlocked in suburbia... His name fits him perfectly...

Before she could stop herself, Emily glanced down to the bathing suit slung low on his hips accentuating his obliques.

Her mouth suddenly felt too wet. She swallowed and quickly looked back up to his face hoping he didn't catch what just happened.

Kelly didn't seem to notice. He barely looked at her and offered only the briefest greeting. "Hey."

He looks bored... Should I feel relieved or annoyed by this?

John handed Jerry her backpack to continue his game of one-on-one with Donnie. Jerry brought it inside while Emily went back to the car and leaned over into the trunk to grab her tote.