Chapter 39

"He stepped down, trying not to look long at her, as if she were the sun, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking."- Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

Chapter Thirty Nine

“Look who we have here!” A familiar voice interrupts our conversation and we look back at the source of the voice.

Zayn stands a few feet away with a huge glass of bear in his hand. He wears a simple black shirt with a brown leather jacket and his jeans are ripped, as usual. His hair is settled in a quiff and he gives us a huge smile, his tongue sticking to the back of his teeth.

“The boxer and the non drinker. What a pleasure, again!” he chirps and walks towards us. Within two long strides he stands in front of us, his face having the same grin. I look over at Liam and he stands expressionless.

“How are you mate?” he asks Liam. They shake hands as if they are long lost best friends and I try to suppress my grin at Liam’s obvious hatred for over affection.

“I’m good, Zach, was it?” Liam says, his voice soft.

“Zayn.” He chuckles and turns to me, “How are you Tiara?” As I try to shake my hands with him, he pulls me in an embrace, catching me off guard. I pull back immediately, embarrassed and flustered by now.

“I’m good.” I say simply. Liam’s hand laces with mine and he tightens it, entangling our fingers with each other. I simply smile to myself; it’s these little things which keep me moving.

“So, what are you both even doing here? You guys are on your honeymoon, y’all shouldn’t be ruining your nights by coming to such a lame place.” He chuckles again.

“Oh, actually there is some performance or gig or whatever out here. That woman at the reception invited us along. I thought it will be nice.” I answer him, omitting the details of course. It isn’t that bad actually, considering its crowded and all, but it still is beautiful and I will choose to be here than in that mansion with Liam ignoring me.

“She is still blackmailing people, I see.” He laughs making Liam and I uncomfortable. I still try to smile, anyway.

“That she is.” Liam surprises us by getting into the conversation. I notice his eyes have settled on the bar and my insecurities come alive when I see him scanning the same girl who already has her eyes on him.

“Why don’t we take a seat? I have reserved a table for five. Most of my friends bitched out and I’m left for my own good. Dogs, all of them.” He talks to me but I can’t really focus on him. My eyes remain transfixed on Liam and I can’t help but feel the wrong things already. The same girl sits cross legged on the small stool and I hope she falls down. She takes a sip from her glass and continues eyeing Liam.

“Thank god. I thought we had to remain standing forever with you.” Liam huffs and I shoot him a glance. Zayn laughs, really laughs before shaking his head. I sometimes wonder how he is so cool about everything.

“Be nice to him, he bailed you out.” I whisper to Liam.

“You bailed me out.” He tells me.

“I couldn’t have done that without him.” I remind him. He remains quiet and nodes and his head. To what, I don’t know.

As we start walking behind Zayn towards our table, Zayn looks behind Liam and his smile grows. He pauses and starts walking towards the bar.

“Nicole, is that you?” Zayn asks the same girl eyeing Liam.

The girl, Nicole, stands up and places her glass on the counter behind her. She gives us a grin and starts walking towards us. Subconsciously, I press my hand against Liam’s. He doesn’t seem to bother as his eyes remain fixed on Nicole.