Chapter 27

'I remember your fingernails on my back,

you leaving your pain inside of my skin, some sort of magic,

squeezing so tightly they broke as if I was made of albaster stone.

You're gone now with some other man, unnecessary madness, and I still have those same scars and often find your nails in my sheets-only now I refer to them as bullets.' -Christopher Poindexter

Chapter Twenty Seven

He stares at me passively and looks away almost instantly. I have never, not even once, thought about Liam’s character not because he never showed any gray side of his but mostly because I had already assumed his lifestyle. I’m worried now since we don’t even need one second to change our bonds and I know we will start fighting the next opportunity we get. He looks out of the balcony and focuses on some trace of sea water behind the colorful buildings which line the footpath.

The sound of the people outside is soft and comforting, unlike the constant blazing music parading in our ears. I’m watching an entire new scenario and I can’t believe this is the same place where I saw completely different people last night.

My eyes subconsciously travel down Liam’s hands and settle on one of his tattoos. It’s basically a feather which covers most of his forearm and the design is very intricate. The more I observe it, the more deep it gets. My eyes land on his knuckles and it looks worse than last night.

“Your hands are in a terrible condition.” I mutter and he turns to face me.

“No, not really.” He shrugs.

“It does look bad, Liam. I think I should medicate it.”I tell him.

“No, it’s fine. I’m umm… used to this.” He says quietly and looks at me.

“Used to fighting or these bruises?” I can’t help but ask. He says it so casually as if he is mentioning any of his daily routine to me but shivers run down my spine.

“Both.” He snaps.

“How often do you fight?”

“I don’t fight as much as you think I do. I’m just used to the pain this brings, that’s all.” He answers politely and my heart melts.

“So is this how you vent out your anger? By beating people or breaking stuff?” He takes a deep breath as if having an inner conflict whether to answer my question or not.

“I would try to do something else if I knew what to do.” He answers honestly.

“Not every short tempered person goes around beating people. I’m sure there are a lot of other things you can do.”

“Really? Like what?”

“Like, you trigger your anger by going near the source of your outburst. Instead, try to walk away for once. I’m sure it’s much easier to walk away rather than near what inflicts you. Learn to control your anger before it starts controlling you.” I tell him and I don’t know why, I feel like he should really start controlling himself before he actually starts intimidating every person who falls on his way.

“It’s not that easy to walk away, Tiara. And if I walk away I’m giving that person a card stating that what he did was fucking correct. But if I break his bones, I will get the satisfaction that he won’t fuck around with any person and knock some sense in him.” He looks at me for an answer but frankly, I don’t know what to say. Both of us are so different in every prospect that it makes me wonder that will we ever agree to one single thing? Is this why our conversation turns into a fight without any notice?