Chapter 37

"Remember what I told you about what girls want?  Girls just want somebody to want them back." - Brooke Davis, Season 1, One Tree Hill.

Chapter Thirty Seven

“I’m confused, Liam.” I tell him. I can honestly not sleep right away after the little spat we had and the huge revelation he just told me. I never even thought about Liam’s family and I believed that Vanessa is his mother. I know I shouldn’t be pressing more into this matter even though it is eating me up. He told me quite a few things which I believe he wouldn’t tell anyone so I’m slightly glad too.

“About what?” He looks down at me, diverting away from his thoughts.

“About everything. You, me, our marriage, everything.” This has got to be the most frustrating and confusing phase of my lifetime. I promise myself that I won’t go near him, won’t let him sleep next to me and here I am, snuggling next to him while he softly strokes my back.

“I’m too. I guess we are just pulled into this and we don’t know what the fuck to do half of the times.” I nod back. I guess he does make sense.

“You’re right.” I say weakly.

“Marriage is a fucked up concept.” He says after a little while.

“I know that our situation has tainted this concept for us but I don’t agree with you on this.” I say, slightly annoyed. I don’t want to have this conversation about marriage again because I already know our opinions differ from chalk and cheese.

“You’ve got me wrong. This concept was already tainted for me before we got married. This,” he gestures between the both of us, “just fueled that more.” He says nonchalantly, as if he didn’t just upset me.

“Then why did you agree to marry me?” I ask him, sitting up straight. The way his fingers move randomly on my back isn’t making me think straight and right now I need to get some things cleared off.

“Both of us very well know why.”

“No, we know my side of story but we haven’t really discussed your side of the story.” I ask, suddenly new signs if curiosity peeking in this topic.

“There’s no my side. I wasn’t really given an option.” He says, slightly annoyed too.

“Still you agreed, Liam. It wasn’t like your father or Vanessa had to drag you down the aisle to marry me!” My voice comes out much higher than I intended to. I get it that this isn’t the apt time to have a heart to heart, but then again, when is it?

“Fine, I had some motives too!” He moves away from me, pulling back his hands which had finally landed across my waist.

“Yeah, like what?” I scream too. This is exactly why I didn’t want to start a conversation in the first place about this topic because this is what we end up doing, fighting.

“Trust me, you don’t want to know.” He looks away.

“I’m your freaking wife, we have said the vows together, and why on Earth wouldn’t I want to know about it?”

 “Take it your way, I wanted to stop the rumors which were spreading about me and every other woman the media could land their eyes on next to me.” He says viciously, making me stop dead in my tracks.

“That’s why you agreed.. to marry me?” I stammer, taking in whatever he said.

“Of course, don’t flatter yourself by thinking I wanted to marry you for.. you.” He says without thinking and without looking at me. His body stiffens and he looks back at me with wide eyes. Too late, Liam.