perfectionism

advice for perfectionists

- a thread

let's get real about my personal enemy: perfectionism.

those of you who can relate know that perfectionism is so much more than just handing in your papers on time or wanting to get good grades. it's this internal pressure to do everything perfectly, you just have (!) to get the best result possible.. and it drains your energy. not fun!
here are some tips that helped me to manage my perfectionistic thoughts (at least a little bit)

- adapt a growth mindset

try to see mistakes as opportunites to grow. you either win or learn, so don't beat yourself up over mistakes you made. and remember everyone fails at some point in their life, everyone struggles with something and everyone makes mistakes! it's nothing to be ashamed about.

- focus on yourself only

don't comapre yourself to other people! just because someone else is succeding doesnt mean you won't.
and even if you end up not succeding – its ok. (everything happens for a reason) you dont know how much work they have put in, how their mental health is etc.
just focus on you, everything else is
a) out of your control and
b) juts an energy drainer.

- focus on the process not the outcome

you are so much more than your work. you're meant to have fun and enjoy life! this doesnt mean that you shouldent work towards your goals- not at all. but happiness/success is not a desitation but living in the present moment and embracing all of it– enjoy life and have fun along the way. focus the process, not the outcome.