Chapter 20

In the recreation lounge. Captain James T. Kirk played three-dimensional chess against his backup helmsman, Lieutenant Gary Mitchell as their friend Lieutenant Lee Kelso watched them at the next table over.

"Check mate," Gary said to Jim holding his hands up, "Sorry, Captain," He apologized but it didn't have much sincerity.

"I should have moved my rook," Jim replied looking down at the game, "Rematch, Gary, now that's an order," Jim told him using his rank on his friend.

Gary and Jim had met at the Academy, Gary being one year ahead of Jim, had graduated earlier. But during the time that Gary had been there, he often helped Jim in his assignments. Jim's first request as Captain was to bring Gary and Lee on the Enterprise.

"I'm tired of beating you, "Gary replied smirking, "Why don't you play Mr. Spock sometime?" He asked him just as the doors opened.

"He turned him down," Farrah informed walking inside the room and smiling at them.

Jim turned to her and smiled back gesturing her over to him, "I think he's still upset about the Kobayashi Maru," Jim told them while wrapping an arm around Farrah's waist as she came and stood beside him.

"Come on Gary, there's no way I'll lose now that my good luck charm is here," Jim said turning to his friend with a challenging grin.

Before Gary could reply, Jim's comm beeped alerting him to an incoming call, "Speak of the devil," He mumbled turning it on.

"Go ahead, ," He said into the comm.

"Captain, we have intercepted a distress beacon of a most curious nature," Spock informed him from the bridge, "Your presence is requested on the bridge."

"On my way," Jim replied standing up from his chair not letting go of Farrah.

"Mitchell. Kelso. Join me on the bridge," He said to them as he and Farrah walked ahead and into the lift.

"Aye, sir!" Gary called as he and Kelso stood up and followed them into lift going behind them so that the Captain was in the front.

"Still can't get over calling you "Sir" feels like only yesterday I was helping you with your academy homework," Gary said to him.

"Not to mention that we were a year ahead of you..." Kelso added.

"And yet were still the back-ups to Sulu and the Russian kid," Gary added and the tone of annoyance was not missed on either Jim or Farrah.

Farrah had not known Gary for more than a few weeks and she liked him well enough. She thought he was a nice guy and Kelso was too. But she did prefer Kelso to Gary if she had to admit it.

But she was much closer to Sulu and Chekov and didn't take kindly to Gary's slightly hostile tone. The helmsman and the navigator had proven themselves entitled to their positions in their fight against Nero, Gary had not been there so he didn't have any right to comment on their skills.

"They earned their jobs. Believe me," Jim replied looking over his shoulder at Gary agreeing with Farrah's thoughts, "And I didn't bring you on board to be my friends. I brought you aboard because when I am on that Bridge I need to be surrounded by the best," He said just as the doors to the bridge opened and he and Farrah stepped away from each other.

"Back-ups or not," Jim continued with one last look before stepping inside the Bridge first and then Farrah following after him inside.

"Mr. Mitchell. Mr. Kelso. Miss. Pike, to your stations," He told them heading over to Spock.

On the Bridge he was the Captain and he couldn't show his affection for Farrah on the Bridge. Though the entire Enterprise crew probably knew of their relationship by now but still he couldn't show favoritism towards her.