Chapter 8

It took McCoy no time at all to find the section of the hanger he sought.

"Bones, where are we going?" Jim questioned his friend as he led him somewhere through the people running around.

"You'll see," Leonard replied tugging him towards the med bay.

"What are you doing?" Jim questioned as the doors to the med bay opened and he followed Bones inside.

"I'm doing you a favor," Bones replied walking over to a sealed cabinet and opening it up to fish through a rack with colored liquids lined up on it, "I couldn't just leave you there, looking all pathetic," He said to him taking a red one from the rack, "take a seat. I'm gonna give you a vaccine against viral infection from the Melvaran mud fleas," Bones told Jim as he sat down on the bed.

He gripped the cylinder of the red liquid between his teeth, as he ripped the packaging off a hypospray, and shoved the cylinder up the open breech. The delivery mechanism automatically activating the contents, which he promptly jammed against his friends neck.

"Ow!What was that for?" Jim questioned him trying to grab at the hypo but Bones had already pulled back.

"To give you the symptoms," Leonard replied as he disposed of the used needle.

"What are you talking about?" Jim questioned him as he started to feel funny.

"You're gonna start to lose vision in your left eye," Bones told him as he went through another cabinet.

Before Bones could finish his explanation, Jim looked around the room, seeing only out of his right eye as his left had gone blurry, "Yeah, I already have," He told Bones squeezing his eyes.

"Oh, and you're gonna get a really bad headache and a flop sweat," Leonard informed him as he walked over and hauled him up from the bed, helping him stand.

"You call this a favor?" Jim said to him sarcastically

"Yeah. You owe me one," Bones replied putting his body underneath his friend's arm and dragging him out of the med bay that was luckily close to the shuttle going to the Enterprise.

Leonard held Jim up by the arm as he seemed to lose feeling in his legs, and his fading cerebral capacity was making it hard for him to control his body, he would have to look into the loss of feeling in the legs, he thought to himself.

They barely made it in time to the shuttle, whether it would be enough remained to be seen. A Klaxon was sounding and the lights on the side of the shuttle indicated it was running through the final countdown procedures before liftoff. Exerting himself from carrying Jim, Leonard heaved them toward the boarding ramp.

The Junior officer who intercepted them had been working non stop, without a break ever since the Red Alert had sounded. He was in no mood for an argument and had no intention of delaying the shuttles departure. He looked at the two officers coming up the ramp, one of them carrying the other who appeared to be severely hung over. Possibly still drunk.

He sighed before pulling out a small object from his breast pocket, scanning the length of the drunk man to figure out who he was, "Kirk, James T. He is not cleared for duty aboard the Enterprise," He said to McCoy.

"Medical code states the treatment and transport of a patient is to be determined at the discretion of his attending physician, which is me," Leonard told the man pointing to himself and looking down at Jim who was becoming very red in the face and sweaty as he groaned.

"So I'm taking Mr. Kirk aboard. Or would you like to explain to Captain Pike why the Enterprise warped into a crisis without one of its senior medical officers?" Leonard asked the man staring him down before looking at Jim who appeared to be getting worse.