Chapter 9

Previously...

Inside the med bay, Jim Kirk had just started to come back to consciousness when the young accented voice started speaking.

A lightning storm in space. Where had he read a description of an energy surge like that before?

No, it couldn't be, could it?

"Lightning storm!" Jim Kirk gasped as he sat up to quickly wincing in pain.

"Jim, you're awake. How do you feel?" McCoy asked him now out of his red cadet uniform and in his blue science division uniform.

"Good God, man," McCoy said to him looking down at his hands as both eyebrows rose in surprise.

"What?" Jim asked him before looking down at his hands as well and and releasing a shout of surprise before holding up his large swollen hands in shock.

"What the hell's this?" He questioned Bones in a squeaky voice grimacing.

"A reaction to the vaccine, damn it!" Bones shouted moving passed Jim and to a nurse, "Nurse Chapel, I need 50 cc's of cortisone!"

Jim ignored his friend and pushed himself up before starting to jog out of the med bay and to the screen to replay the broadcast as Bones came up behind him and started scanning him.

He rewinds it to the beginning before stopping, "...appeared to be a lightning storm in space," They young man on the screen said in a thick Russian accent.

Now he remembered where he had heard of "a lightning storm in space."

McCoy was furiously scanning Kirk. The readings were not good; now his friend had become his patient.

"Hey! We gotta stop the ship!" Jim said to Bones slapping his swollen hands on the side of his head before taking off at a run away from him and out the med bay to the lift.

"Jim! I'm not kidding! We need to keep your heart rate down!" McCoy told him opening up the case he had grabbed when he had run after Jim.

Kirk located a computer interface; he found his fingers had gotten larger,"Computer, locate crew member Nyota Uhura," Jim said to the computer remembering the night that Nyota and Cadet Noël, or Farrah as he learned her name was had come in the room and he had to hide under the bed.

He had listened to their conversation while trying to be quite and remembered her telling Gaila about picking up an emergency transmission from a Klingon prison planet before Farrah had said that the 47 Klingon war birds were destroyed.

He needed to find Nyota, the one who had translated the message in order to find out exactly what had happened and if his suspicion was correct.

"You know, I haven't seen a reaction this severe since med school," Bones commented to him just before her took of running again.

"We're flying into a trap!" Jim shouted to him.

The computer brought up the location of Nyota, and without a second thought Jim was off in that direction.

Racing down the crowded section, Kirk kept looking for the one person he knew would confirm his conclusion.

"Damn it, Jim. Stand still!" McCoy told him before Jim finally stopped and he quickly shoved the hypospray in his neck.

Jim groaned and shook his head turning to him, "Stop it!" Before he took off in a run again weaving through the people until he spotted Nyota.

"Uhura! Uhura..." Jim called out to her making her turn around and jump out of her chair. Any other time he would have found amusing the shock that registered on her face as she recognized him.