"I would say that I don't give a shit," Cassie said, looking from the boys to Eleven. "But I don't want you guys to do something stupid and hurt her. I'll stay and help,"

"Really?" asked Mike, his face beaming.

"For her," said Cassie, pointing her finger at Eleven. "I'm doing this for her. Not for you. Understand?"

Mike nodded, and Cassie sighed, "Get her some dry clothes, will ya?"

Mike raced to the laundry basket, pulling out some dry clothing while Dustin and Lucas glanced at one another.

"That's it!" hollered Lucas, his voice quick to appear in the quiet room. "I'm not going to sit around a babysit some random girl we found in the woods. I've got to get home."

Before Lucas made it out the door, Cassie pulled his wrist, "You're not going anywhere, Sinclair. Yes, on a normal day, I'd be stomping out of here just like you are. But this is a problem that we all have to face together. Whether I like it or not I have to stay. So do you."

Lucas looked at Cassie, his vulgar features dropping to a solemn expression, "Fine. But if we get in trouble for this, I had nothing to do with it."

───────────────

After clothing Eleven—who Mike declared to be nicknamed El—and building her a sort of fort to sleep in, Cassie soothed the girl to sleep.

"It'll be alright, El." said Cassie, rubbing her arm gently. "Nobody is going to hurt you no more"

El smiled weakly, "Friend?"

"Friend," Cassie replied.

Cassie watched as Eleven's eyes fell slowly, releasing her into a deep slumber. Sighing and placing her hands on her hips, Cassie stood.

"I can't believe you were able to put her to sleep," said Mike, sitting down next to Cassie on the couch. "Last time I checked, you were not the caring type."

"I'm not," said Cassie. "But the girl reminds me of myself. Unlike me, I want her to have someone that cares about her."

Mike gave Cassie a look of sympathy, causing her to tighten up, "I don't need your sympathy."

Mike looked down, "I know...I just—"

Cassie cut him off, "Just drop it."

Wrapping her arms around herself, Cassie Harrington took a seat on the couch. She knew from the day she was born that she was not like the rest of her family. She enjoyed the risk-taking part of life and found that not caring about anyone or anything made life easier.

Mike tilted his head slightly, looking down at the girl from his standing position. From this angle, Cassie Harrington looked like a normal girl. A helpless, reluctant girl who wasn't as tough as she was put out to be.

"Something tells me that you're way more than you think you are," Mike admitted.

Cassie narrowed her eyes, her defensive behavior taking control, "What makes you think you know anything about me?"

"You're not that hard to read," said Mike, sitting down beside Cassie. "You may think you are, but you're not."

"Oh yeah?" laughed Cassie. "Prove it."

Mike sighed, pressing his lips together, "You're the little sister of the biggest douchebag in town—"

"Agreed,"

Mike flashed a slight close-lipped smile before continuing, "You're nothing like your brother, Cassie. Maybe...if you hang out with us more, you'll see what friendship does to people."

"Friendship makes people weak," spat Cassie. "You gotta look out for yourself."

"Friendship makes people strong," Mike protested. "You're stronger in a team than you are alone. Take ET—you saw that right? Well, in the end, they had to work in a team to help ET get back home."

"Are you really referencing pop culture to prove yourself, Wheeler?" said Cassie, giggling.

"Maybe," laughed Mike.

The two kids laughed together, throwing their heads back and clapping their hands. This was the first time Cassie Harrington felt comfortable being with someone. It made her feel...sort of warm inside. Defiantly something she hasn't felt in a long, long time.