Annabeth

We lose a warrior

(A/N: yes, I know demigod weapons cant injure mortals. But for the sake of this fanfic, we're going to just pretend that wizards don't technically classify as mortals and they can be injured by demigod weapons. Thanks!)

ANNABETH: I wish I could say my plan worked perfectly, but it didn't.

None of us could have predicted just how outmatched we would be. Perhaps it would have gone better if we'd had more people. Luna, Neville, Cho, and heck, even Natalie would have been willing to fight for the cause. They were all powerful and could have been useful assets.

On the other hand, if we had them, that could have meant even more casualties, in addition to the few we ended up with...

If my plan had worked, we wouldn't have had those casualties. But we'll get to that in a moment.

***

We were already off to a bad start.

I fought beside Hermione back to back. She defended herself with her wand. I had my dagger.

"We can do this, okay?" Hermione told me. "I see that doubt in your eye."

Hermione took out two death eaters with one spell. I warded one off with my dagger.

"I know, we can do this." I tried to convince Hermione I was confident in all of us. However, I was mostly trying to convince myself.

Hermione and I worked fairly well together. We were both quick-minded, which gave our instinct an advantage over our enemy. I hardly even had to use my dagger. I was quick in combat, which knocked most of the enemies out of my path, making them easier for Hermione to use her magic against.

Unfortunately, a dagger and my combat skills could only do so much. The enemy had a thing that I lacked: magic.

"Watch out, Annabeth!" Hermione shouted. A beam of light was coming straight towards me. There was nothing I could do but watch as it came closer...

But it didn't hit me. I opened my eyes, expecting to have been stunned or tortured in some way. However, Hermione had saved me. In front of me, Hermione was writhing around on the ground screaming in pain. That death eater had used the cruciatus curse.

The second I saw the man's wand wave again, I didn't give him a chance to act. I threw my dagger right in his direction. It pierced his chest. A moment later, he was gone, having disapparated to avoid further injuries. My dagger fell onto the ground.

"We need a healer!" I shouted. "Magnus, Will?"

"A little busy here, Annabeth!" Magnus replied. I watched him in the distance deflecting spells with his sword, who was singing a rather interesting rendition of a muggle song I hadn't heard in years.

Hermione would pass out from the pain in any second. Luckily, Will had heard my cry for help. He sprinted through the chaos of the battle, somehow avoiding injury. He knelt beside Hermione. His hands started to glow as he placed them on top of her.

"Just breathe, Granger. The pain will be over in a moment."

A moment later, she passed out, looking quite peaceful.

"She'll wake in a few minutes. For now, I'll keep her out of the way of things. When she wakes, she'll be in no shape to fight." Will slung Hermione over his shoulders and sprinted off, placing her nearby while he continued using his archery to ward off the death eaters.

I watched Harry sprint towards Will, carrying Ron in his arms.

"H-He took the full blast of m-multiple torturing spells. He was t-trying to defend me. He hasn't m-moved for awhile." Harry stuttered. Harry was trembling so much you'd think he was the one who had taken the full blast of multiple torturing spells.