Percy

PERCY: I nearly died on spot when I remembered I still had corridor patrol tonight. But to add a positive spin to the situation, it wasn't with Annabeth Chase tonight. I was glad I'd at least have one night without being constantly nagged at by her. My patrol tonight with Frank Zhang.

Over the years I hadn't spoken too much to the guy. All I knew was that he was quite skilled in transfiguration. McGonagall simply adored him. So, it wasn't likely we'd be tight friends. It was more likely we'd be merely aquatinted, and I was okay with that.

"Zhang, sorry I'm late." I exclaimed as I made my way towards him. Frank shrugged sheepishly.

"I was expecting to say the same thing to you when I arrived. I was five minutes late, actually."

"Frank punctual Zhang was late to something? Wow, never would've thought the day would come." I joked. Frank laughed.

"Yeah, well Frank punctual Zhang was being held back by an eager house team. Everyone's asking who made the team this year. As a prefect, I'm first to know. When's Gryffindor's tryout?"

"Saturday." I answered. Chase was right, it seemed all I talked about with people was Quidditch.

"Well, good luck man. I expect Gryffindor will have a decent team with year. After all, they still have a few more years with Potter as seeker."

I nodded in agreement.

"He's definitely something." I agreed.

Then that awkward I know you, but I don't quite know you well enough silence passed between us for a long moment. I noticed something during that silence; I noticed someone. Luna Lovegood was walking outside along the trail leading to the forest. To my surprise, at the same time Frank and I turned towards each other.

"Listen, I have to go--" we both said. We cut ourselves short.

"Sorry, pardon?" Frank said.

"I have to go--take care of something. It'll be quick, I promise! Just, please don't tell McGonagall."

Frank seemed surprised.

"I was going to say the same thing, except for the McGonagall thing, don't tell Sprout."

"And just where are you wandering to, Zhang?" I smirked.

"I don't ask you, you don't ask me. Deal?" Frank suggested.

"Deal." I agreed. And we both went off our separate ways.

In only ten minutes, Frank Zhang had completely blown my mind. Not only had be admitted to being tardy to something, but he'd skipped out on a duty he had been specifically assigned. Call me a hypocrite, I do those things on common occurrences. But Zhang? I'd never pictured him as any sort of rebel.

My questions about him faded as I caught up with Luna, and I chose to forget all about Frank.

"Luna, lovely evening, is it not?"

Luna smiled.

"Hello Percy, and yes, it is quite lovely. Wishing to visit the thestrals once more?"

"Yes," I answered. "Though, I doubt it will only be 'once' more."

We didn't exchange many words as we walked down the path into the forbidden forest. That's something I liked about Luna. She's a person who appreciates silence. I'll admit I used to be in the group of those at Hogwarts who though Luna Lovegood was quite odd, which she was, but I was also beginning to realize that oddness wasn't such a bad thing. After all, Luna was pretty cool.

"Luna, can I ask you something?"

She nodded as we continued to walk.

"Of course."