Just Say You'll Marry Me

"if you love her so much why don't you marry her?"

"what are you talking about?"

"mike, seriously?"

"what?"

"you look at her all like... hi el! el! el! el! i love you so much! would you marry me?"

After high school, Mike and El had quickly moved to Chicago. They were both in college, and although they were cramped in their tiny apartment, they were happy, especially with the addition of their kitten, Eggo. (I know that's hella unoriginal but whatever)

Both of them were so busy with the stress of college and part-time jobs that apart from the evenings, the only proper time they got to spend together were Saturdays, which they organised so they were both free. They had quickly formed a ritual, ordering take out and watching a movie, whilst updating each other on school and work, mixed in with bored games and spontaneous karaoke from El. Little did El know, but ever since they were 15 and Mike had vowed to himself he would marry her someday, he had saved all the money he got from his job at Benny's, and now his job in college. He had saved up for something he hoped she would wear everyday forever. And now, it was sitting in his pocket.

Mike was practically pissing himself. Yes, he had permission from Hopper, and yes he was pretty sure what her answer would be, but it didn't make him any less nervous. El was blissfully unaware of his inner crisis, she was animatley telling a story about Max dumping ice water on some guy who cat called her in a coffee shop. The radio was playing softly in the background, and El suddenly gasped and jumped up, beaming at Mike. He quickly noticed that Every Breathe You Take had started playing over the tinny speakers. He smirked to himself and stood up.

"Do you wanna figure it out?" He asked, mocking his younger self. El beamed and wrapped her arms around his neck as he wrapped his around her waist. She rested her forehead against his, flashing back to the snowball all those years ago.

It was perfect. Mike knew it. This was meant to be. He leant out and looked at El's face.

i keep crying, baby, baby, please

He leant in, catching her lips with his own. She smiled into the kiss, cupping his cheek with her hand and kissing back. Mike leant out slightly, so that his lips were only an inch away from hers. "Marry me" he murmured.

Time seemed to stand still for El. "What?" she asked in shock, leaning out and looking into his eyes. "Marry me" he said again, more firm this time. Her eyes filled with tears as he got down on his knee. The song was getting to it's chorus as he pulled out the box, opening it to reveal a stunning ring. She covered her mouth with her hand as he grabbed the other. Shock had overcome her. "El" he started, his voice choking up as tears streamed down his face. "There are no words that could ever do justice to me and you, so I'm not even gonna try. Just say you'll marry me. Just say you'll marry me." All El could do was nod as she continued to sob and Mike slipped the ring on her finger. It was a perfect fit. He stood up, embracing her. She wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him harder than she ever had before. All she could was whisper

"I love you so much. I love you so much."