A Million Little Things

The period story you guys asked for (thanks for the suggestion Triggeredeggos011) is in my drafts and I'm writing it, but I'm struggling with it, cause I've never written mike&el in that sorta situation. I dunno. Anyways, it'll be out soon, so here's this story while I write it. Also, try and spot the movie reference🙈
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike didn't think he'd ever been so nervous in his entire life. He'd faced down inter-dimensional monsters but Jim Hopper still scared him more than any creature.

It'd been almost 10 years since El had returned, and Mike knew the moment he saw her walk through the Byers's front door that he'd never want to spend his life with anyone else. When El was allowed to go out into general society and go to school, Hopper had bought a house close to the police station, and El started her new life.

Mike was approaching said house, and despite it always being a safe haven from his parents constant fighting, the sight made his stomach do flips as he thought about what he was about to do. He and El had recently moved out to Chicago, and he had perfectly timed his visit so he knew he would be home before El got back from work.

At this point he had been standing outside the house for a couple minutes, so he took a deep breath, opened the gate, walked up to the door, and knocked.

"Wheeler! Haven't seen you since Thanksgiving. El with you?" Hopper greeted as he opened the door and ushered Mike in from the cold. "Hey Hopper. And no- uh- no she isn't. I um- I.." Mike stumbled over his words, shuffling his feet. "Spit it out kid." Hopper exclaimed as he sat down in the living room, a slightly amused look on his face. Mike took a few deep breaths and looked Hopper in the eye. "I need to ask you something."

Hopper sighed. "Why do I think I know where this is going?" He chucked. "Well I- you know I- I just, I love her and-" Mike burst out, practically tripping over his words. "Jesus kid, slow down. Ask me, calmly." "Okay." Mike took another deep breath, his millionth in the last ten minutes. "I know that I'm supposed to be with El for the rest of my life. It was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together, and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known. I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like ... magic." Hopper looked at the, well, young adult, that stood before him, professing his love for his daughter. He should be mad but- he just laughed and stood up, shaking Mike's hand. "I saw this coming from the night you saw her again after a year. The look on your face said it all. I'm just surprised it took you this long." Mike looked at him, a new light in his eyes. "So does that mean..... I mean- can I?" The hopefulness was so apparent. "Yeah kid. Go. Ask her." Mike nodded, bounced on the balls of his feet, and quickly hugged the gigantic man. "Thanks Hop. For everything." Hopper hugged him back briefly and nodded, watching as the lanky boy walked towards the door. "Oh, and Mike?" "Yeah?" he questioned, turning back. "Hurt her, and I'll hang your head on my wall." Mike laughed and nodded. "Duly noted."

As he headed home, he was is a state of euphoria, and all he could think was one thing.

i'm about to ask el hopper to be my wife.