You Were Gone And You Weren't Coming Back

This is part 2 to Loving You Is The Best Thing I've Ever Done. I meant to upload this is the day after that one but I got caught up with assignments. Anyways, enjoy, and thanks so much for 10k reads!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike awoke with a start, sweating profusely and violently shaking. His eyes slowly adjusted to the dark, and details of the Byers's living room were starting to come into focus. Even in the dim light, he could see Max's hair, shining like a beacon on the other side of the room. He went to get up when he realised the warmth that was beside him. He looked down to see Eleven curled up on the mattress, lips parted as she breathed heavily. He sighed deeply, rubbing his forehead as he tried to combat the headache that was setting in. It was just a dream. He didn't realise he was sobbing until he felt the hot tears fall onto his hands. Losing her absolutely petrified him. He tried to comprehend his nightmare. His best guess was that the idea of her closing the gate and leaving again was too much to handle. Calming himself down, he focused on how he felt after he saw her again after 353 days, and when she came back from closing the gate.

Eleven could feel movement next to her. Her head throbbed and she scrunched up her eyes, trying to fall back to sleep. There was movement again, and she slowly opened her eyes, seeing a hazy figure sitting next to her. She slowly sat up and she recognised the person next to her immediately. "Mike?" she asked curiously as he turned to look at her. He quickly wiped his tears away, looking down and fiddling with a blanket. "Don't cry" she said softly, lifting his head to look at her. He sniffled and stared at her, studying her beautiful face. "You were gone." he choked out, more tears leaking out and tricking down his cheeks. "You were gone and you weren't coming back" Eleven felt her heart break. Despite only physically being around Mike for a week, she felt such a deep connection and protection for him. She wished she could take all the pain away, all she wanted was for him to be happy, all the time. She pulled him into a tight hug, crawling into his lap. He wrapped his arms tightly around her waist and sobbed into her shoulder. "I know." she said softly. "I've had them too"

After Mike had calmed down, he shuffled so he was lying down. He cautiously pulled El close to him, making sure she wasn't uncomfortable. She practically melted into him, wrapping her arms tightly around him. He quietly told her the details of his dream, and she comforted him. They then lay in silence, before El broke it. She looked up at him, cupping his cheeks. "353 days is enough." she murmured. "I'm not going again. Not ever." Mike sighed. "Promise?" he asked. "Promise" Mike felt that familiar spark of electricity as he slowly leaned down. El's eyes fluttered close as she felt their lips meet. She felt as if her stomach was going to explode from butterflies. She liked it though. Loved it. They broke apart and she beamed at him, snuggling into his chest. As he fell asleep, Mike didn't think he'd ever been happier.

Lucas and Dustin woke up early. They were always the first awake at sleepovers and were used to this routine. They went and got water and cereal, Lucas enduring teasing about how close he was sleeping to Max. When they went back to the living room, light was now streaming through the curtains. They soon spotted the huddled mass of Mike and Eleven, curled up together clutching onto one another like they'd never see each other again. They quietly giggled and noted that, after an appropriate amount of time, (3 days) the Mike Wheeler heart eyes teasing would begin.