•Ashes• 26

Once I was simply a Peacock

Always showing off

Soon being put in a cage, sealed with a lock

Little did I know, I was a pet to be burned

Hurting right there, until my luck turned

I was nothing but ashes, left to die

All alone, nothing to do but cry

Finally, someone found me

A spark was lit inside

Let me know who I was born to be

And out of the ashes I arose

Burning like a phoenix, I suppose

Forget those fools, they all lied

It was only then, I realized

To finally live to the fullest, you have to die the most inside.

-

-

-

-

-

-

"Ember, mind getting me that vial over there on the shelf?" The 16 year old boy pointed the fiery bird, which was perched upon a simple wooden stand.

Your sight was clouded slightly, the heat from your body didn't bother you, and rather felt like a warm blanket wrapped around on a cold winter night.

The room was filled with tons of vials, bottles, chemicals both dangerous and safe, and tools of all sorts. The room was fit for an alchemist. The room also had rectangular boxes in the walls, standing both vertical and horizontal. Each had a glass tank inside, each displayed a test animal. One had a bunch of rodents all huddled together for warmth, one had a tag on it's ear. Test subject #623. Other tanks held reptiles like snakes, some held birds like budgies and pigeons, some even held mammals like cats and dogs.

Your best friend sat at a table near you, orange tinted goggles covered his eyes. He wore a light weight, olive, button up shirt, a brown vest, dark brown pants, black boots, and a black leather coat.

He seemed to not even take his eye off the chemicals as he dropped a small drip out of a vial into another one. The chemical dropped and made a small steam cloud arise and disappear.

A burning feeling in lit up, waving through your long flaming wings into your chest and stomach. Your wings, a large inferno, opened. Slowly moving back and whipping forward as you were launched off the perch. The feeling was like being on a roller-coaster when you make it to the top of the hill and feel weightless.

The purple vial which sat on the shelf seemed to come into focus as everything else blurred. Your wings flapped back and forth, it felt like running. It was a indescribable feeling of freedom that could never be put into words.

Your sharp talons came into vision as your feet flung forward. Six claws landed on top the shelf, two gripping tightly from the bottom. Your amber beak pecked the vial and picked it up.

Your wings took off again. The feeling seemed to last forever. You closed your eyes for what seemed like an eternity, which was simply a split second. Finally you perched back up on the stand next to your friend and placed the vial next to him.

"Thanks Ember." Varian sighed and looked out the window of the small alchemist's lab. A look of sorrow seemed to creep up on his face as he glanced back at you.

"I lost my dad, my friends, and..." Varian looked down, the moonlit back seemed to reflect on his hair, your flames seemed to also. "Y/n... If it weren't for that dumb Princess... She wouldn't be dead right now."

"Ember, you remind me so much of her. That's what hurts so much. I like to think you're her a lot, which is why I'm talking to a ..." Varian paused, a awkward and sheepish smile crept across his face. "A bird... well... technically a Phoenix."

You opened your beak, a low shriek echoed. SKRAUKKK.

"Hey, hey, I corrected myself." Varian raised a brow and rolled his eyes.

SQAUUUCCKKK.

"Whaaaatttt..." Varian looked back towards you, annoyed. The chemicals he'd just poured into one glass seemed to change colors, from a pink to an orange.

Screep.

"What was that?" Varian held back laughs at your quick and high pitched noise. Suddenly the glass seemed to overflow next to him, dripping on the table.

SCR E E E E E.

"STOP LAUGHING, IT'S NOT FUNNY!!" Varian panicked, grabbed a vial from the table and pouring it onto place where it had overflowed. The chemical on the table instantly disappeared.

"Alright, Ms. I'm-so-funny. Are you done playing games?" Varian rested his hands on his hips after pulling his goggles up.

"Oh, silent treatment, hmm? I can play that game." Varian crossed his hands and closed his eyes, a smirk still spread on his face.

You hopped down towards a music box, you knew what this was since before you were this bird thing, you were Y/n. It had been an accident was Rapunzel had did to you, but Varian blamed Rapunzel and assumed she'd done it on purpose. Varian though, he didn't realize you were still alive. He'd assumed you were dead after the fire.

You tapped the music box with your talon, slowly, the soft music started to play. A light tune that always calmed you and Varian down.

Varian opened one eye and looked at the music box which seemed to let out wretched and good memories, each hurt like pins and needles.

"You... You know I told you not to touch that..." Varian swallowed back the lump in his throat, something seemed to scream, I'm not okay, in his chest.

"Y/n..." Realization hit his face like he'd just been slapped, his eyes widened.

"You're..." His chest seemed to tighten as his face lowered towards the ground.

" I'm... I'm so sorry." His eyes seemed to water, orange glow reflected on him from your inferno body.

Sqauck?

Your head tilted slightly, a low, cracking, voice could be made from the noise.

"Why didn't I realize sooner?"

Scruaak.

"I'd hug you, so tightly right now, but..." He eyed your body up and down, the heat could be felt from the the few feet apart that separated you two.

You glanced down for a second, an instinct seemed to click into your nerves. Your wings gave a big flap, a quick cool breeze went over your flames as they seemed to go dim. Your flames were now bright orange and red feathers, your tail was long like a peacock's, everything stayed the same but your flames had gone out temporarily.

Varian gasped lightly and ran to you, holding you tightly as if you were the only thing left in the world.

"I'm so sorry."

"It was my fault."

"I'll fix everything, I promise."

Varian pressed his forehead against yours, both your eyes looked into each other's.