I paused for a long moment, surprised that she was just not telling me this.

"So from this vision you had last night, the only thing you thought to do was ask me to the ball? You didn't bother telling anyone else."

I was afraid she'd get offended or get angry at me. Instead, she just looked disappointed in herself.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled. "I'm an idiot, I know."

"You aren't an idiot. But what you did, that was poor judgement."

She nodded, annoyed.

"I just wanted everybody to have a good night at the ball. It seems every time I think we've figured something out, we take a step back. What's even worse is that I had this same feeling in my vision. I felt like we were finally at peace in this little camp place. But then suddenly, this goddess had to fuck everything up."

I took her hand. That was definitely a risky move, but she didn't bite my head off about it.  Instead, she rested her head on my shoulder.

"Am I the only one getting extreme déjà vu right now?" Piper asked.

"Every step I've taken for the past few weeks has been filled with nothing but déjà vu. You aren't alone."

Piper laughed to herself.

"It may not shock you that I'm not much of a people person," she sighed and continued. "But every vision I've had involves me being protected by or protecting the people I love. Whatever my real life is, whoever I am there, I can only be for sure that I have a very strong support system."

"You do here too," I said. She snorted. "Seriously, Piper. You have Nico, Harry, Leo, the others may not know you as well but you can count of them to have your back. You have me as well."

She looked up at me and scanned me for a long moment.

"Somebody recently told me that when in doubt I should go by my instinct. I may test that theory. Is that okay?" Piper said. I didn't have a clue what she meant. Then again, it was Piper McClean. She wasn't just one thing. She was a mystery.

Before I could even finish my, 'yeah, sure' Piper acted upon her instinct.

She kissed me. And all I could think about was the fact that I hadn't brushed my teeth this morning. Sure, the kiss was fantastic and all...it was magical. It was a different sort of magic that you can't find by just casting a spell, it was breath-taking, heart thumping, blush-inducing, smile-for-eternity magic.

As we pulled apart, Piper had on an unreadable expression.

"Your breath stinks," she noted. "Other than that, you were satisfactory."

We stared at each other for another moment with unreadable expressions before we both burst into laughter. It was the kind of laughter that can be caused with just a glance. It was a powerful laughter between two people who really knew each other. It was the kind of laughter that could only be stopped if those laughing had passed out from lack of oxygen to their brain. Yes, it was that kind of laughter—the kind you're thinking of with a smile.

Piper and I finally stopped laughing after a few minutes. It was only because of a rather annoying intrusion provided by Harry Potter.

"What, Harry?" Piper asked sourly.

"Um, sorry to interrupt. But have either of you seen Nico? Or Will, for that matter."

"Probably off snogging in an empty corridor." Piper shrugged. "Can you go now?"

Harry looked worried.

"After I couldn't find Will, I went to search for Annabeth of Hazel since they're friends. When I couldn't find Annabeth, I went and searched for Percy. Since I couldn't find Percy, I went to look for Leo. After that search was to no avail, I went to find you, Jason."