29

"my dad is going to be there too. and i've got a kid brother. i'm sorry if he ruins your appetite with his disgusting eating."

sei warned pen.

they were a nervous wreck.

it was thursday and after school, they would be back at sei's house for dinner, which they later learned pen's mom would be at.

if there wasn't already good enough reason to be dreading this evening.

"oh! you have a little brother! i've always wanted a little sibling. i'm the youngest unfortunately."

pen always hated being the younger one. lo always was able to go anywhere and do everything while she sat at home.

"wait, is your sister going to be there too?"

sei said suddenly.

they could feel themself sweating.

"no she's back at college." she said in a melancholy tone.

sei raised their eyebrows.

it never crossed their mind that her sister wouldn't be living with them.

sei looked at pen who had a sad smile on her face. they could tell she was trying not to bring the mood down.

sei was never good in these situations.

"oh."

pen glanced up at sei with a full fledged smile,"oh? that's the best you got?"

pen was laughing now and it made sei's heart ache.

"i don't know! i'm not good with consolation."

"oh really? would've never thought so."

pen slid her hand through the strands closed in a bun on top of her head, then dug into her poke bowl with a plastic spork.

it was quiet again for sometime, because pen was eating.

"you um...you look nice. different hairstyle."

pen took a small glimpse at sei,"thanks. you look the same as you did yesterday."

sei laughed with the shake of their head,"you know what? i take my compliment back."

"you know you look good anyway. you don't need me to say so." pen smirked.

sei's heart fluttered at the small expression.

"you flatter me penelope. you can keep the compliment i guess."