7

"is this seat taken?"

sei didn't answer, pen noticing the moving of their eyeballs behind their eyelids.

pen decided to pull the chair from under the table anyway, placing her bag on the the floor beside the legs of the chair. 

her hands folded on the top of the table that had scratches and writing all over it. she was able to watch them with their eyes closed.

sei's hair was down today.

"hey." sei greeted. they opened their eyes.

"hey."

pen squinted her eyes as she looked at sei. 

"there's something new."

"oh, you noticed?" 

sei's pink tongue ran over their bottom lip, their sparkling diamond piercing catching pen's attention.

her heart stuttered,"yeah that's what it was."

she picked up a limp fry with her fork, examining it closely. she shook her head and let the spork fall to her tray.

"just bring your own lunch."

pen looked up, meeting sei's eye,"i'm fine."

the table shook, as sei's foot bounced up and down.

it was quiet for a long time.

"i'm sorry, you know?" the table shook faster.

"it's fine. i was being a drama queen. i like to draw by the way."

pen fiddled with her hands, looking down at the table that was still moving each time sei lifted and dropped their foot. 

sei didn't say anything.

"i also-- i also write. you know poetry, and songs." 

sei's head lifted,"really? are you any good?"

a tiny smirk played on their lips, as they watched pen slowly ease up, the air becoming easier to breathe in.

"i guess so. not everyone appreciates songs anymore if it's not about drugs, money, and naked women."

pen's lips puckered, her right cheek lifting.

"yeah, i know what you mean. that's all you get nowadays. but i'm sure you'll get noticed one of these days." 

the table stopped shaking, but now there was tapping. pen just ignored, and smiled.

"i hope you mean that."she  ran her finger across her skin, swiping a lock of hair behind her ear,"what about you?"

"what about me?"

"what do you do?"

"nothing."

pen's eyebrows scrunched up,"there has to be something that you do. everyone has something."

"music."

pen nodded, understandingly,"yes, of course. music."