43

"pen! you hair looks adorable!"

heidi screeched, running towards pen who was twisting the chain attached to the swing in a deserted park.

pen rolled her eyes as heidi ruffled her hair.

"you look so cute!"

"thank you, thank you." pen beamed, and posed with her hand on top of her head, after heidi moved away to sit on the swing beside her.

pen sat still, and let the chain unravel, making her body circle faster and faster.

"so how's it been with sei so far?"

pen smiled to herself and shrugged, feeling a rush of adrenaline and happiness from the short ride and hearing their name.

"i've never been with someone for such a short time, and feel like how i do."

"what a big difference than how you used to feel, right?" heidi chuckled, pumping her legs on the swing, her bag hitting her back.

pen furrowed their eyebrows,"yeah, sure."

"you were always talking about how you didn't really know them and all that."

pen paused.
literally paused, stopped breathing for a short time.

"right." she nodded.

heidi frowned, but laughed anyway,"you okay? you look really freaked."

pen nodded,"no--yeah i'm good. so--um...how have you been? i feel like i haven't see you in forever."

"because you've been with your hot new girlfriend. wait how does that work? girlfriend? mate?"

"i don't know-- they're just sei to me. but god, i really don't want to be that friend."pen held her hand to her heart.

heidi shoved her shoulder,"oh, shut up. you're fine."

pen smiled, but her mind traced back to how frustrated she used to be about how sei never told her anything about their life.

even if they had opened up a little--

i still don't know who sei is.