32

"how's it going?" pen sat down at the table on monday.

pen noticed that sei had earphones in today. they hadn't worn earphones in forever it seemed.

but they took one out when pen sat down and a smile came over their face.

"hey."

"hi."

pen began smiling too, watching sei with tentive eyes.

"how was your weekend?"

"it was pretty okay. i didn't really do much. i started listening to that singer you told me about. i think it was billie eilish."

"oh you actually listened?" pen raised her eyebrows at sei's question.

"yeah, why wouldn't i?"

sei shrugged, looking for a different subject,"i like your sweater. you look adorable."

pen smiled and pulled out a bag of chips from her bookbag, sitting them in the middle of the table.

"thank you, sei. you can have some." pen motioned for sei to take some chips with a small smile on her face.

sei's heart stuttered as they reached over and took a few.

sei smiled, biting into the well coated chip.

pen took a chip also.

"your hair is nice down." pen chewed, looking at the twists falling down their back.

"you don't have to compliment me because i compliment you."

the air felt so nice to breathe in. it always has, but noticing it makes it feel better than it did when you only breathed as a necessity.

"i know, but i wanted you to know. i've always wanted you to know."

sei blinked and ate another chip, sitting back.

"i wish there were good enough words." sei sighed.

"let's go to the igloo tonight."