"I don't know who you are right now, Piper. I sincerely don't know who you are. This isn't you! Who's side are you on? Harry has done nothing but help you, and help us! Yet, you're going to the ball with the man who got him in the hospital wing!" Nico shouted. I'd never seen anybody look so betrayed in all of my life.

"You don't know who I am, Nico! Same as I don't know that either. I don't know who you are, and neither do you! We aren't even living our real lives right now, Nico! Who are you to tell me that what I'm doing isn't me when you don't even know who you are? You said to me yourself before that you were scared that who you are isn't who you want to be. Who are you to judge Draco for his actions? Maybe he's living your fear, maybe he isn't who he wants to be." I argued.

Nico crossed his arms.

"You're fighting against yourself, Piper. Last week I saw you with Draco Malloy during your corridor duties. You and Draco both tried to hex a Gryffindor boy for no reason! I was the one who made Draco trip, Piper! I wore my invisibility cap and stopped both of you before you could do anything to him. But then, you join Harry and I in figuring all of this out, I figured you had changed. Next, you're parading around with Draco Malfoy, who for the record, has said plenty of unpleasant things about me when he thinks my back is turned; next, you're comforting me in the common room, asking if I've eaten supper; after that, you're defending the guy who just--"

"Stop talking!" I commanded.

Nico stopped immediately.

"You don't have the right to tell me what's good and what's bad! Those definitions vary from person to person, especially in a world like today when nobody knows who the good guy really is! Heck, I don't even know if you're a good guy. I've heard rumors of Harry Potter conspiring against the ministry, I've heard rumors that you killed your own parents, I've heard rumors about Voldemort's return...I've heard all of those rumors get debunked, then come back with even more evidence supporting them. It's an endless cycle that I've tried to stay away from, but now suddenly everybody is telling me I have to pick a damn side! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PICK A DAMN SIDE? Everybody here has a different definition of what's good and what's bad. What if what I think is good is bad to somebody else? Or, vice versa." I took a breath, then continued. "I'm done with everybody telling me I have to pick some side in all of this! You know what? I pick my damn self! I pick my own happiness, is that so wrong?" I asked.

Nico stared at me in shock after that speech. I thought that I had left him dumb-founded, but then I remembered I had commanded him to stop speaking. I wasn't going to storm away without at least giving his a chance to retaliate. That wouldn't be a fair fight if I left now.

"You may speak now." I said.

His expression softened.

"Piper," Nico said. "It's up to you whether or not you come to the room of requirement tonight. I can't make that decision for you...I'm sorry if I've tried to. You're a part of something, though. I am too. It's up to you whether you choose to continue being a part of that."

"Nico, wait--"

I wanted to say more, but he vanished. Curse him and his stupid teleportation ability.

"Ugh!" I said, because what else do you say when somebody makes a more dramatic exit than you ever could? I turned the corner in a rush, hardly paying attention to my surroundings.

CRASH

The boy's books went flying to the floor. I got a sense of déjà vu back to the first day of classes when I had ran into this same boy. Jason Grace, Leo's friend. The one who I had caught running around with Leo and Percy Jackson after curfew last week.

"S-Sorry," he stuttered, probably scared that I'd yell at him again.

Crap. This was the same boy Draco and I had attempted to hex in the halls last week. This was the boy who Nico was talking about. I hardly remembered it.

"No, I'm sorry," I said. "Let me." I gathered his books and handed them to him. He looked half-scared to take them from me, probably afraid it was all a part of some prank.

"Harry Potter has just been attacked in the halls during midday," I spoke, handing him his things. "I don't know if sneaking out after hours is a habit of you and Leo, but I don't want to catch you two doing that again. You could run into something you can't turn back from."

"W-Was that a threat?" He asked, alarmed.

"What?" I asked. "Oh, no! I just--" we stared at each other for a long moment.

"I feel like I know you." We said at the same time.

God, this day had been too weird.

"I'll see you around," I said. He finally took his books. "But please, do be careful where you walk. You may run into somebody far more unpleasant than me."

I turned away, debating whether or not to go to the room of requirement with Nico tonight. If there was a possibility of Jason being there, I might go. To think, I was considering making amends with a Gryffindor. Was this the definition of good I had been seeking?