VIII.

I looked at her today.

She looked beautiful with her wavy brown hair. Her twinkling round brown eyes looked at me with so much adventure and joy. I also liked her dimples formed when smiling at me especially.

But she doesn't remember what happened yesterday.

None of it.

"Earth to Yoongi!" She waved her hand in front my face.

I hate this setup.

This reminded me of the movie "50 First Dates."

But this wasn't even a movie.

This is like a fucking fairytale.

"What?"

"You were staring off into space like a dummy." She giggled. "Are you okay?"

Everything will not be okay with me.

"Yeah."

"You know what, I'll treat you after school." She put her chin on her palms.

"Not ice cream, I assume." I said.

She shook her head, "Nope! Much better than that!"

"Kimbap?"

"Nope."

"What is it then?"

"Fried chicken and rootbeer!" She cheered enthusiastically.

I corrected, "Isn't that supposed to be fried chicken and beer?"

She twirled a strand of hair in her forefinger, "Well, since we're underage human beings, we can't drink so it should be rootbeer with fried chicken."

"Smart girl." I smiled at her.

"I know right! I can't wait!" She adjusted in her seat many times because of excitement.

This girl didn't fail to do something new everyday.

Even if it was on repeat.

=========================

"One more cup of rice please!" She called out to the waiter and continued eating her chicken.

Meanwhile, I was done with just 5 cups of rice. This was her tenth time asking for one.

"What are you? A pig?"

She threw a chicken bone at me and I dodged it quickly. "I hate you. I want to eat my fried chicken in peace."

"You mean, you want to eat all the chicken piece by piece."

"Yah! I'm a hungry person. Whatdya expect?" She took her last bite and slumped down on her chair, putting her hand above her tummy bump.

I joked, "How many months is your baby now?"

She laughed at my joke, catching on it. "Oh, I think it's 3 months by now."

Burping once, I called for the waiter and asked for the bill to be paid. "Yah, you're going to pay for this, woman."

She nodded her head, "I know." When the waiter arrived with the bill, she paid for it and we left the restaurant. I'm afraid their business would lose if this girl keeps eating there.

"Ugggh, Yoongi. I can't walk anymore. I'm too heavy." She groaned in frustration, holding her tummy.

"Who told you to eat ten extra cups of rice?" I rolled my eyes at her, walking ahead of her. "Anyway, you need to keep walking because you'd digest what you ate earlier."

"And then it will turn into energy right?" She added.

"If that's how you think it is."

"Ugh, fine, ahjussi." She teased, walking beside me and stayed silent.

When we got at her house' front porch, she bid me goodnight. "Thanks for today, Yoongi. See you tomorrow." She suddenly hugged me.

"Don't hug me." I told her, gently pushing her away not to offend her or anything.

"Get used to it. I'm clingy." She stuck out her tongue and chuckled.

"Whatever." I waved, scared that she still might ask the daily question.

I walked away fast, turning at the corner towards the bus stop. Fortunately, there was a bus waiting and I got on. Switching off my phone, I tried to doze off on the way.

Then it hit me.

I never thought why she wanted to disappear in the first place.

Why she wanted to die.