NIKITA

She leaned against the balcony while Banye followed behind. He shut the door, his black robe undone revealing part of his chest. He didn't say anything, silent as he pressed his lips in lethal silence and prowled closer.

He could had left her alone, gave her some space just as he would had before, but he couldn't. He felt as restless as she does. Now that he has someone to protect - want to protect.

Every second Jungjae gets away, kills, and gets closer to his palace is a second of frantic worry.

He had never walked a mile in Wang Jian's shoes, not until now. He never knew what it's like to risk everything to protect someone he loves. And he's becoming closer to demonizing himself as well. His fear caused him to lock Ying Yue inside the palace like she's an object he can tuck away.

"Fei," he moaned. "I'm so sorry, Jungjae is hunting both of us. I didn't know how to tell you."

Her silence screamed at him. She remembered all those times when Wang Jian apologized for telling her nothing, for keeping secrets. He spent days apologizing, begging, and groveling for her forgiveness and it felt like it's all the same, the same cycle of things.

"Do you hate me now?" He murmured as he steadied himself inhaling her scent. His hands rested on either side of the balcony and leaned his chest on her small back.

She shifted, turning over, her eyes inclining to meet his dark gaze. "Why would you ask such a thing? I could never hate you, you were good to me, and you love me. I just wish things are not like this, I wish I could be at peace and not worry about my heart getting broken constantly."

His eyes flared and dropped to her mouth, "I could never break your heart, Fei." His heart fluttered while hers raced an uneven beat. He dropped his gaze lower to her lips. "I will never break your heart." He murmured, his breath caressed her lips and she smelled the scent of the familiar honey in it.

His eyes shone like the stars above them and the darkness envelop them, stirring her out of her sadness.

Banye kissed her lips with merciless passion and still managed to control the fire in it. The world gathered around them, and at that moment, there was nothing, only the humming wind and the night blanketing them in romantic darkness.

"I won't let him get to you, I'll kill him first before he gets to you. I'm not weak, I'm not a mortal. Even if he employed the assistance of a powerful shaman, they're not strong enough to get passed me."

She didn't have to say anything when her mind whispered, I believe you.

The next day she awoke with Banye already away from the bed.

When she stirred to glimpse at his side, his ghost was already cold. He left early enough to protect his people, his land from Jungjae. Her heart ached, it must be bad enough that Banye risked going out without any rest and slipped back to the field.

She wondered how many has Jungjae slaughtered already. How bad it is.

Ying Yue pushed herself up, the silken blanket draped down from her chest and the crisp wind bit her skin. Banye had ripped her clothes off that night and tossed them on the floor leaving her naked under the sheets.

She hurried to a pair of trousers and robe from armoire in the bedroom. They were his clothing. Ying Yue has nothing but gowns and dresses to wear in his palace. They were his choices of clothes, and everything was provided for her, she didn't have to do anything. He'd treated her so well, so much better than....she paused the dangerous thought of the mortal world.

Ying Yue rushed slipping into Banye's oversized trousers and robe, getting a whip of his honey scent stinging her nose, still stuck in the threads of his clothing. At that moment she felt at home and safe being inside his clothes.

Ying Yue chased the hallways down to the stairs and to the mouth of the door when she was stalled by Nikita standing in her way. She wore her plated armor, sword slung on her hip, and her dark hair gathered tightly in a bun.

Ying Yue had never seen her in her full cloaked armor before and she looked every bit intimidating as she does - that it made her jealous. She spent years outside the palace as a warrior and she never looked quite as intimidating.

"Where do you think you're going, little human?!" Her lustrous voice a warrior's caress.

Ying Yue hated it when Nikita called her that. It made her feel less, like a pet, a child.

She paused, a few feet distance away, far enough for a maneuvering room in case a fight erupt between them.

Ying Yue had not expected Nikita in the palace, she was always with Banye during his missions.

"Get out of my way, Nikita. I'm going after Banye!" Her ominous snarl threatening.

Nikita's legs spread and she dropped her weight. She mean to stop Ying Yue any means possible. "I'm afraid that cannot do. I'm here to keep you safe, and safe means inside the palace."

Ying Yue refused to shrink away and had figured out Banye must've left Nikita at the palace on purpose.

He knew she'll try something like this.

"Or what're you going to do? I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to put a finger on me either." She brushed passed Nikita, daring the demon to stop her.

Nikita clucked her tongue. "Man, you are a pain in the ass! I don't understand why he left me to babysit a stubborn mortal like you, I will tell you right now, you'll regret it once you walk out that door, though."

Ying Yue whipped around giving her a daring look and had the audacity to eye Nikita's arsenal of weapons on her.

Ying Yue made no secret of her intention of snatching them away and she particularly took a liking of her sword.

Nikita tapped the blade clung to her hip barring a wicked grin. Not in a million years, baby. She mouthed silent, reading exactly what's on Ying Yue's mind.

"I'm afraid you're a few hundred years young for my skills, little human." She purred.

Ying Yue's eyes glimmered with challenge. "True, but I do have my lover's gift and it's screaming for me to use it right now."

Nikita rolled her eyes. "Oh, please. One eight of his soul is hardly a match for my skills."

As much as she would love a bitchy banter, Ying Yue has no time for it and leaped out the door, leaving it for the femme fatale demoness to chase after her.