THE CRUEL PRINCE

Ying Yue can very much remember how in love she was with prince Jian. Betrothed to him at birth, she was raised and molded to love, cherish and be his perfect wife. He was everything to her, Ramona loved prince Val the way she's supposed to, expected to, and trained to.

He's the love of her life.

Prince Jian adored her just the same, he married Ramona when he's eighteen and her at sixteen. As soon as they're both at marrying age.

The two were a picture perfect couple at the beginning of their marriage. The pride of the palace and the envy of other royals until one day when it all changed.

Prince Jian began to act restless, afraid and anxious. When the sun set and twilight began to darken everything, Prince Val started acting strange. He became violent, hot tempered, and vile. Gone is the calm and doting prince replaced by a savage monster.

Ying Yue began to worry but no matter how much Ying Yue pressed the prince for reasons, the prince evaded her and dismissed her concerns as though he is ignorant to all the changes happening to him.

"What are you talking about, Ying Yue?" He snapped to her one morning when they were sharing breakfast.

"You seemed to have changed. What's wrong Jian?" She sounded in a tiny voice. "We are wife and husband, we are supposed to share everything with each other."

He cringed as if the sound of husband and wife were poison so his ears. "Nonsense! It's all in your head. I have always been the same."

Some nights he woke up in the middle of the night sweating and afraid. Ying Yue didn't have to guess to know that he'd been ravaged by nightmares that chased him night after night.

This wasn't always the case, prince Jian used to sleep peacefully beside her.

After a while, Prince Jian hardly slept at all. He patrolled their bedroom pacing like a wild animal with his sword clutched in his hand watching for the dark spaces tucked in the corners of the walls.

"Please go to bed, my love." She begged helplessly one night. The constant pacing was keeping her awake.

He turned to her, his eyes tired and dark. "I can't. I have to keep watch."

She made a notion of bringing her eyes around. She doesn't see anything but thick stone walls. "What? Watch the shadows?"

She hasn't noticed anything unusual about them. Just the regular shadows from behind the curtains and furniture. The only thing scary inside the room was Jian.

He hissed, his hand tightened on the hilt of his blade. "How dare you! How dare you mock me when all I'm trying to do is protect you!"

She recoiled slightly, she doesn't want to admit Jian has frightened her lately.

Jian saw her reaction and immediately, his hand loosened on the hilt. His palm had been sweaty, he didn't realize how tight he held on to his sword until now. He loosened his muscles, closed his eyes and took a deep calming breath. When he opened his eyes again, his mood had turned. In his place is a calm and gentle prince devoid of the monster he was a moment ago.

Jian's voice softened. He paced calmly to her side on the bed grasping her face gently into his palms. He noted the film of tears in her eyes hating himself for making her cry. Val kissed her wet eyes, rubbing his plush lips on her lashes. "Forgive me, Ying Yue. It was not my intention to snap at you."

*****

It may not be his intention to snap at her, but it was his intention to hurt her. It wasn't even that long ago that Jian uttered his mournful words and made love to her when he announced days later that he's taking on concubines.

This broke Ying Yue's heart. How can he be so cruel? She thought Jian loves her. In her time growing up in the palace preparing to be his queen, Jian not once favored other girls, his eyes never strayed to anyone but her. So when she confronted him about the announcement, he'd dismissed her and told her that she should be grateful he wasn't divorcing her.

Ying Yue had expected Jian to spend his nights in bed with other women, but to her surprise, he spent his nights with her night after night as though the newly arrived concubines did not exist at all.

"Jian." Ying Yue whispered to his ears while they were in bed.

Jian let out a warning growl. "Do not speak to me."

Ying Yue ignored his warning and bravely pressed her body next to him.

Jian grabbed her shoulders and pinned her beneath him. He hovered over her, his eyes fierce, his hot and dangerous breath heating her cheeks. He tightened his hold on her. "Do not touch me."

"Jian." She moaned.

"No!" Jian hissed against her ear. "Do not touch me, do not talk to me. Do you understand?"

She trembled slightly. "Why not?"

"Be quiet!"

"What's gotten into you?"

"Nothing has gotten into me!" He leaned into her, pressing her harder on the bed. "Why can't you follow a simple instruction? I asked you not to speak and yet you keep talking."

"You're crushing me, Jian."

"Shut up, Ying Yue! I told you not to speak to me, not to touch me. I come to your bed at night to warm you. I fulfill my duties as your husband. That should be enough for you!

She started to rock with sobs, she couldn't help it. "Why are you being so mean to me?"

He eased back a little bit. His harsh face rearranged. It is as if he just now realized what he was doing and was shocked at himself too. Jian observed the walls around them silently before dropping the mask of his anger. He let go of her shoulders. "Please, don't make it harder than it already is."

She pushed herself up, tears pricking her eyes. She doesn't understand how he could be so callous and mean toward her. "Then tell me what's going on so you don't have to bear it all alone."

He met her stare but Jian only shook his head. "There are curses and evil at play. It'll only upset you if you found out about it."

He must not have his confidence with her. "Try me."

The prince sighed and gazed at her with empathy. He took her hand gently and guided her to her feet. "I'm afraid you are not safe here in the palace, Ying Yue." He ushered her to the part of the room with hidden storage. Val pressed a stone on a wall and a secret door opened.

It was a small storage room much like the size of a closet. He checked for anything that might jump at them, lighting a lantern inside. Once he's satisfied, Jian drops her hand and walks inside. "Stay here."

Ying Yue obeyed.

Jian reached for the sword on the wall, the only item inside the vault. He handed it to her.

Ying Yue grabbed it inspecting the scabbard. It's made of leather with an intricate design of wolves howling at the moon. There's writing on the leather that she couldn't understand. It must've been in ancient language since she could pretty much read every language. She pulled the sword out from its case and admired the weapon. It's made of light metal. Not heavy on her hand even when she swung it. She had heard of swords that can cut even the most powerful of demons and wondered whether it belonged to that collection.

She drew her attention back to Jian who was admiring the sword with her, a barely visible smile ghosted on his lips. "This is your sword?"

"Yes."

It's odd that she never saw him with it before.

"It's been passed on for generations. From a crown prince to another. Only the oldest son gets to wield it.

He must have been insane to even let her hold it. Ying Yue quickly slid it back on its case and pushed it back to him. "What do you want me to do with it?"

Jian pushed the sword back to her. "It's yours. It should protect you from evil."

"But I'm not in danger."

"It's best if you hold on to it. I told you, there's evil in the palace."

The next day, the prince banished Ying Yue from the palace.