THE MOST INNOCENT

"You locked me up!" She scowled as he came up to the door. She glared at her lover arms crossed to her chest. Ying Yue was not happy, she'd trusted Banye when she became his lover and yet he has the audacity to pull something he did when he kidnapped her. "I'm not your hostage anymore, I'm your lover!"

He dropped his shoulders, Banye paled and stammered. "But, Fei..." Gliding his eyes as he bravely strolled closer.

Ying Yue soon lifted her arm halting him there where he stood. He paused.

"How else do you want me to protect you? I can't be in two places at once." He crooned, moving forward.

"I told you to take me with you." She hissed, her eyes watched him heavily as he moved.

Banye stopped by the side of the bed, just as he got near enough – without getting all over her space. 

He knew the consequences of locking her. He knew he'll rile her angry in doing so, but also, he's been pushed to a brink of having no choice.

"I can't take you with me, Fei." He breathed. Emptiness, frustration and exhaustion in his voice. Banye brushed his fingers on the luxurious thread of his midnight tresses. "That would be just like putting you in a box and giving you to him as a gift."

Her shoulders slumped, feeling as if Banye has not told her everything. "What do you mean?" Her voice quivered, uncrossing her arms from her chest.

Banye leaned, his palm cupped her cheek while his thumb made a gentle brushing on her skin. Ying Yue poured her eyes into him, dreading what he has to say.

"What do you mean, Banye? Is it Jian? Is he the hunter?"

He shook his head taking the space beside her. "No, he hasn't come after you. He'd been good on his words and I have no reason to worry about him coming." He paused to kiss her lips, catching up traces of her thoughts. Ying Yue was glad he couldn't read all of it because she's not sure whether he'd be happy with what came up suddenly.

"Then who is it?" She asked nervously.

"It's Jungjae, the younger brother. Their father had given him the free reign to hunt us...you especially, and as far as I could remember, he did not hesitate upon trying to kill you. So, please understand. I can't take you with me. Jungjae is after you and I and he's killing my people to get my attention."

"But, I don't understand, why would he go this far chasing after you and me?" She took his hand from her cheeks and rested it on her lap, holding on to it.

"Perhaps it was for his own retribution. He's a scared little prince. And scared mortals are the most dangerous. He suffered being snared by my wife and I could imagine it left traumatic memories." He breathed. "My wife wasn't the kindest of all women."

His lingering stare remained at her, hearing some of her jumbled thoughts through her static wall. Banye didn't have to read her mind to know what's going on.

"I'm afraid what my wife did caused a lot of suffering from people and I have to take responsibility for it." His hand squeezed hers, picking it up, and pressed an ever so gentle kiss on it. "Her actions caused a lot of innocent victims, and I swear, I didn't know what she was doing. I didn't know where she went. She told me it was going to be a major surprise and I'm going to be the happiest man when she gets back – only she didn't. I had to look for her after a while and I found her rotted body inside a cave. She's been dead for months.

I was angry, I was so angry then that I wanted to unleash my fury on her killer. I didn't care about her innocent victims...the people she killed, I only cared about my revenge. I found out it was Wang Jian and I swore I was going to gut him alive, but I didn't kill him, I wanted to make him suffer, kill what he love the most instead."

His eyes dropped unable to meet her gaze. Banye loosened his weakening grip.

But in return, he caused, you to suffer and I was partly to blame. He hid his feeling for you, pushed you away treated you so badly in order to fool me. He was protecting you from me." Banye looked like he's about to cry. "You were the most innocent victim, and you're still suffering." He choked. "Now, it's my turn to protect you from them.

I want to make this right, at least. I want to undo whatever that was done. I want to protect you and make you feel loved because you were the product of everything we started."

Ying Yue released his hand, feeling the sudden urge for fresh air. She had suffered so much, and she sacrificed a lot. She's exhausted, she hadn't done anything to deserve anything that happened to her.

She wanted her roar to reap through the wind and tell the world she had enough.

"I need to get some fresh air." She murmured quietly and pushed up from the mattress.

Banye didn't stop her, he only moved out of her way as she headed for the balcony.

"I love you, Fei." He whispered as she went, but she didn't return his words, she'd been too drained being tossed around and treated unfairly that she doesn't know whether it matters anymore.

She opened the balcony door and felt the gust of wind kissed her cheeks. The night is beautiful and yet she felt nothing but sadness.