CLUELESS

A moment of contemplation, silent as they crested through the narrow alleys of the market and the private residents on their way home.

Husband and wife - only in title.

Ying  Yue ruminated whether she should make her flee, she's already outside the palace. It would be so easy just to leap out and make a run for it.

Just run, don't stop and don't ever look back.

Prince Jian twitched, easing up the tension holding his body hostage. His hand glided down searching for hers. She evaded his touch, not trusting it, clutching her hand back to her chest.

"I want to hold you hand, Ying Yue. Please let me hold you. I can feel your heat soaking into mine, and you make me very much aware of you. I want to hold your hand or you can wrap your arms around me, I would prefer that much better, but I know you wouldn't..." He paused. "I want to do this before we enter the palace where I couldn't even have a normal life with you."

"You are a mystery to me Jian. I never know what you were talking about, you speak in riddles and you have me baffled. You're not telling me everything and perhaps, I could care less any longer, but if there's a little sense in you...if you really want me to stay..." She gave him time to consider. "You'll tell me at least something."

Silence descent as they neared the palace. Jian did not answer, only letting out an empty sigh as they stroll passed the gate.

The night is already falling, and the darkness will soon have its reign. Prince Jian dismounted from his perch and asked Lord Chua who's been silently tagging along with them the entire time to take over.

"Please, keep her safe for me." He murmured. "I have things I still needed to do before the evening is done."

Lord Chua gave him a nod before the prince turned to disappeared.

Ying  Yue halted Lord Chua before he could even dismount from his horse and make his way to her.

"I can take care of myself, Chanshin. I'm not a helpless woman. I can handle myself against most men." She said, not wanting to get treated like a delicate flower.

"I know...but, I follow the prince's orders." He mumbled a little too sweetly, the sort of voice he crooned whenever it's just him and her.

"Aww, common Chanshin, I promise I wouldn't tell." She crooned right back to him.

They could very much remember growing up together in the palace. Him being raise as a loyal subject while her being raise as a wife to the future emperor. There will always be that childhood bond between them that need not to be spoken but both can understand.

"I'm sorry, Ying Yue. As much as I would love to let you lose, you should listen to your husband for once."

That was all she needed to hear, sneering with a bitter taste in her mouth as she kicked her heels on the horse's belly, making it careen to the main entrance.

She let him chase her to the palace, using her skills to leap through the hallway. She waited right at the door of her bedchamber just so she could slam it to his face.

He neared, and just when he got close enough...she slammed the door real hard.

"Right, very mature, Ying Yue!" He grumbled just outside the door.

Lord Chua took his post behind it, sweeping his careful glance on the walls and the dark shadows. "I would appreciate it if you take it out on your husband instead."

"Take what out?"

"Your tantrum." He rolled his eyes.

Silence...

He slid down and settled cross legged on the floor. "You know, if you two are willing to work your marriage out, you should at least speak to each other."

She stepped back towards the door and leaned on it, mouth inches away. "If you're so great with relationship, why are you single?"

A soft chuckle. "We're talking about you, not me."

"Then, tell me Chanshin." Her voice plunged into terrible tenderness, almost begging her childhood friend to help her, let her know something. "Why does he act that way around me? Not only me..." She halted as she thought of Fan a few days ago. "He acts that way with Fan also. She was on his lap one moment and then he's snarling at her the next. He's out of control. I can't make out how he is."

"He has a lot on his plate." Said Lord Chua blandly.

A long pause, Ying  Yue waited for more, but none came.

"Where did you go today? What's so confidential about it that I couldn't even know?" She wanted to ask whether if they went looking for Fan or not, because something inside her suspects of something deeper. That endless insecurity she held in her soul, it could never be ease. "Why can't Jian just tell me anything?"

"You may hate him for it, but he's doing all of it for you, Ying Yue. He acts that way for you."

"Perhaps, you're a little too loyal that you don't even know how foolish you sound, Chansin. You're defending him and it's making me hate you just the same!" Her voice came out a little sharper, a bit more spiteful than normal.

Prince Jian arrived just then to take over. The night has completely fallen and the shadow inside the room is now lurking. As much as he tried to keep their contact minimal these days, he still wouldn't want anyone else keeping her safe at night.

He glared at his most trusted subject. A downward twist on his mouth that he couldn't help, he can't stand that bond between them, that closeness they have for each other. How they could freely speak to each other as if they're star-crossed lovers when he couldn't even relax around his own wife.

"You're relieved for the evening, Lord Chua, go home get some rest."

"As you wish my prince." Lord Chua murmured, shooting up to his feet. He inclined his head one last time before saying..."Goodnight."

The prince opened the door to his bedchamber, finding his wife sitting hard, stiff and with a scowl on the foot of the bed. Suddenly, the air around them became so poisonous and suffocating that it was hard to even breathe.