THE SUAVE YOUNGER PRINCE

The following morning as the servants prepared her bath, she contemplated on escaping to the town. Jian mentioned he had various duties to attend to and he could not be by her side. He apologized endlessly again and again, kissing her hand, her shoulders, nearly getting close enough to her lips again. 

Ying  Yue had been careful not to let him.

She doesn't want to be touch by him, not yet, not so easily. Not after all those lies he told her, she's still trying to convince herself upon staying. It's so easy just to walk out of the palace and leave again. Although something inside her told her that she should stick around, wait it out and see how things pans out. 

She was halfway through the hallway on her brisk footsteps, hoping to elude her servants and guards when a voice caught her. "I'm rather offended you haven't come to visit me yet, sister."

It was Third Prince Jung Jae, a half brother to Wang Jian, younger by two years. They share the same father but with different mother.

She and him were never that close, rarely given a chance to interact but it's never a doubt she is fond of him. Prince Jungjae is laid back, a complete opposite of his older brother. He tends to command audience and maintain it.

Getting her attention was an easy task.

She whipped her head around and turned, it has been hard for her to smile the last couple days, but she didn't hold back once she saw, "Jungjae!" She glimmered with delight and rushed to his embrace.

He did not hesitate upon picking her off the ground and swinging her, putting her back down afterwards.

"I heard you've been back and it tears me apart not being able to welcome you. I've been away for a while and just now getting back. I have today free to myself and I figured I take it upon myself to see you."

He paused and eyed the team of maids and guards tailing her. "Goodness gracious, you have more servants and guards tending to you than I do. Here I am, a prince, with a single guard following me around..." He clucked his tongue. "What kind of injustice is that?"

He waved his hand, disbanding her servants, and they did not hesitate upon obeying the prince's command.

Prince Jungjae winked at her.

"Thank you." She said relieved. "Thank you for getting rid of them."

"No worries, I could only imagine how much they irritated you."

She nodded without denial. "Jian had been adamant about me having them."

"I heard..." He said vacantly. "I heard about everything..."

She didn't answer.

"Come, walk with me." His hand ever so gently grazed her elbow guiding her to move.

Prince Jungjae is married with two wives already. He's energetic, enjoys and prefers women's company which landed him in numerous trouble more often than he'd like to admit.

"I could take you outside the wall for a while and go shopping perhaps?" He said in his smooth voice as if he's a single man courting an unmarried woman.

She scoffed. "I'm hardly interested in shopping at all."

"Strange, and here I thought women like that stuff."

"Not all, Jungjae. I would rather be doing other things."

"...and tell me what's that, so I can accompany you there."

"Library?" She turned, a half smile flashing at him.

"Oh, you are so cruel. I'm sure you're doing this on purpose. You know I won't last a minute in a library. Silence is just not for me."

"You have not changed a bit." She crooned then laughed.

Ying  Yue tried not to look so eager, but she would like a ticket out of the palace. Prince Jungjae was kind enough to get rid of her maids and guards so she agreed on a little field trip out of the palace. 

"On second thought, I think I'll take up on your offer. I would like to get out of here for a little while."

"Good girl." He purred, "I'm bored."

The market was filled with loud merchants eagerly attracting customers into their stalls. Prince Jungjae was like a rock star, getting stopped every few seconds by his awed and adoring fans. He was more liked and more popular - no doubt - than prince Jian and he relished every bit of the attention he got, smiling widely at every chance.

"Well, isn't this so much better than the palace?" Prince Jungjae kept a casual stroll the whole time. Pacing with her speed, or rather, taking his time to better enjoy the worshiping commoners.

"Perhaps to you, you always enjoyed the attention. I remembered."

He could only chuckle. "Can you blame me if I'm popular?"

"No, but you dragged me in here just so you could shower in attention without getting attacked by women."

"Ah, you know me too well."

Her mouth open as to respond with a banter when his eyes lit up. A glittering necklace captured his attention and yanked her towards the stall. Prince Jungjae picked up the necklace, hovering it by her neck. His eyes narrowed. "This looked good on you, sister."

Adding the sister as a declaration of his innocence.

"Put it back, I don't want it."

"Too late." He breathed as he already clamped the hooks together on her neck. Letting it fall to her chest, admiring it. He gestured his personal guard to pay.

"So, what have my brother done for you lately?"

She frowned without saying anything. 

Her silence was enough for him to know everything. 

Prince Jungjae pressed his lips smiling like a fox. How easy it is for him to rattle her anger. He knows about Fan, and how much the consort openly bullied the first wife.

"You need to find another woman to flirt with. Ying Yue is mine, Jung Jae." Prince Jian sneered behind them. He was mounted on a horse, Lord Chua with him. 

Jung Jae reeled behind in surprise. He hadn't notice Jian and Chan Shin at all. 

"Where the heck did you come from?"

"Flirt with your own wives got once." Said Chan Shin. 

Prince Jungjae mocked offended exhale and placed his hand to his chest. "Forgive me brother, but I can't just let her rot in the palace when I could take her out for a good time. You're apparently too busy with your duties or with your concubine if I could recall correctly. Someone's got to take care of Ying Yue."

Jian shot him a warning glare. 

"Forgive me, brother. I just thought I'd set her free from the servants. She's been with me, safe and protected the whole time." Said Jung Jae changing his tone.

Wang Jian's anger ease. "Thank you, brother. I appreciate you taking care of my wife during my absence. "

Jungjae regarded her with a smile. "Afraid, I shall turn you over to your husband."

She nodded, the conversation between the brothers had always carried a bit of oddness to her. It is as if they share a secret language or constantly talking about something only they could understand. Perhaps it's the politics, or it was something else entirely, but whatever it is. They were always careful and tip toeing around Ying Yue.

Jian leaned offering her his hand. "Come, let me take you back home to the palace."

She said nothing as she took his hand and mounted behind him on his mare.