HOT OR COLD, NEVER IN THE MIDDLE

She knew it was coming, the change, it's inevitable, this is how it was, and this is how things are going to be

She knew it was coming, the change, it's inevitable, this is how it was, and this is how things are going to be. Jian is never going to be the same affectionate man again, she remembered it happening before and she expected it to happen again.

The next morning, he left the bed chamber as soon as the sun was up, awake all night, waiting only for the sun to come around. Ying  Yue lain steady on the bed, eyes wide open, she was a mute company awake with him.

No words, nor warmth was exchanged. Wang Jian avoided her with his back turned away all evening.

Heartbroken.

Loving him was the hardest thing.

Ying Yue would not ease herself to an easy stupor the rest of the morning, too stung with how things are unfolding.

He sent guards to watch the door, and a single maidservant tending to her inside the bedroom.

He came back later, as soon as the long shadows visited the bedroom, it's late in the afternoon, sunset is on the horizon and the evening is soon approaching. It's getting dark again.

He was in a rush, that familiar stress marked a permanent residence in his frown. Wang Jian looked like he aged ten years since that night.

He took his spot at the foot of the bed, restless, not bothering to speak to her. Stretching occasionally, then going back to his predatory stillness as if he's preserving some sort of energy for a fight that's never going to happen.

"Jian." She moaned affectionate, picking herself from the bed, clingy for a pinch of his attention.

A hiss a little to sharp to be affectionate. She knew he couldn't be bothered.

"Jian, please. Talk to me, tell me what's happening." A silent beg.

"Do not talk to me." His words were like frozen shards, dangerous, calculated and scary.

His tensed body, his ruthless gaze, they never left him since. It was a shift of his personality. Prince Wang Jian is either hot or cold, but never in the middle.

"Jian..." She moaned again.

There's a soft snarl, irritation radiating in his body, he whipped around, his feral gaze pointed at her that it made her flinch reminded how terrified she once was with her husband.

With his barred teeth, he spoke in clear feral manner. "Do...not...speak...to...me. What part of do not speak to me do you not understand?!"

Terror rippled down her spine and she drew the blanket over her chest. Ying  Yue was trying to contain herself from crying. His old choke hold on her remained its reigned unable to break free from it even after all these years.

She was like a free bird, flying right back into her cage.

Jian's face bore no kindness, not a hint of love only the terror resonating face that she'd grown accustomed to after a while.

That was enough to make her withdraw and leave him alone for the night.

Jian spent the entire evening sat motionless, a deadly stillness on the foot of the bed. Monitoring all the dark pockets, shadows, window, and the door.

He used to spend night after night like this, watching and protecting until drawing himself to exhaustion.

Curled in bed, she craved for his warmth she knew getting him to cuddle was far fetch for that evening, so she did the minimal thing she could do. Like a pet, she crawled dragging herself to the foot of the bed, her head pressed gently on lap while tucked in a blanket.

Jian didn't mind this, he never minded it despite of his coldness.

His fingers are a gentle stroke, soothing, comforting, caressing her scalp in tranquilizing smoothness and it didn't take her that much longer to fall asleep. Brushing her hair, dragging his fingers, enjoying the serene moment.

He spent most of the night awake, falling asleep sitting up, until his own weight was unable to hold him, falling on his back, where they wound up falling in an intimate position anyway.

Her head lain gently on his chest, arm across his belly, leg over his. His arms sprawled and his back on the bed. It was futile to hide or pretend he didn't care.

Prince Jian woke up at the wake of dawn with his wife tangled on him.

Mad at himself for allowing this to happen, for letting his weakness took over. A soft irritated growl that soon melted into an affectionate moan. He loves her, and he loved this part of her.

She is his curse, his love, his weakness.

He placed at chaste kiss on her forehead that lingered at little too long. It bore love and sadness in them for he was prepared to make her hate him all over again.

He lifted her arm away, pulling away from the bed, careful not to stir her awake and then walked up of the bedroom picking up his feet to his quiet escape.